PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 10.04 and ati graphics problem

Teroc
May 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hello everyone,

Since this is a problem I have since I updated to 10.04, I migh as well post t here.
Yesterday, I updated my ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04. Everything used to work quite fine, and even if it's an old laptop, I managed to play 720p videos with a multithreaded mplayer.

Since I updated to 10.04, it seems that I have some problems with my graphics drivers. I can't play any video without it playing slowly and stuttering. I checked my CPU usage, both cpu's are at 50% so I guess it might come from the graphics drivers. BTW, when I set the video on fullscreen, there is no upscaling and the video just stays centered in the middle on the screen without filling it.

I checked some other thread, they talk about the new KMS mode that might cause some problems, but in my grub file, "nomodeset" is already present. My x.org drivers are uptodate.

Does anyone know what is wrong? I am not very good at linux to be honest, I use it for my media centre with boxee (which is not supported yet in 10.04...) and I can't find why this is happening.
BTW, I just realized, but even my firefox is running very slow, dunno if this is remotely related to the main problem :smile:

I would be very grateful if someone could pinpoint me into the right direction to solve my problems.

Cheers,
Teroc.