PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Stopped at 58%

bkuberek
May 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ubuntu Desktop Upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

Last night I ran the upgrade via the Update Manager. Took several hours downloading, calculating changes, preparing, unpacking... then at 58% just stood there. It has been 14 hours total since I started the upgrade and it still says 58%.

The terminal says:

Preparing to replace javascript-common 6 ...
Unpacking replacement javascript-common...
The system is still on and seems to be working. I wonder if I can interrupt the upgrade and try again. I am afraid to stop it and then be locked out after a reboot.

Please advise

Thanks

bkuberek
May 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I just opened System » About Ubuntu, and it says I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. However the upgrade window is still stuck at 58%...

bkuberek
May 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
so I tried running apt-get check to make sure everything was installed and I get:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Any one can help me?

bkuberek
May 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I did a <ctrl + c> and sotpped the javascript-common, the upgrade continued from there... let see if it will complete.

frantid
May 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
before you reboot do a

sudo apt-get check

and possibly

sudo apt-get update

if you see errors, please post before rebooting.

kansasnoob
May 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
before you reboot do a

sudo apt-get check

and possibly

sudo apt-get update

if you see errors, please post before rebooting.

+1! I'd also run:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

When the upgrade is complete before rebooting, and consider any error messages before rebooting.

bkuberek
May 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you all. It seems like javascript-common was the problem.

Twice I had to crtl+c on javascript-common and upgrade is going well. I may have to install javascript-common manually after.

I'll post updates.

bkuberek
May 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
So the upgrade seems to have gone successful. I removed and reinstalled javascript-common just to make sure, but it also seemed fine.

So far 2 things bother me:

* bluetooth keyboard is not working. I tried unpairing and pairing a few times.
* Apache2 also isn't working saying: "no listening sockets available, shutting down"

bkuberek
May 10th, 2010, 06:56 AM
This is the error I get while trying to start apache2:

* Starting web server apache2
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
...fail!

did a little search and looks like there is something else listening on port 80. I just don't know what or how to find it.

I also wonder if the upgrade modified anything in the apache configuration, or perhaps didn't while it should have.

please advise.

bkuberek
May 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM
ok so I did this:

# lsof -i :80
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
apache2 1207 root 4u IPv6 5511 0t0 TCP *:www (LISTEN)

HA! for some reason apache was running. I killed that process and was able to start normally.

I still have trouble with bluetooth.