PDA

View Full Version : Thank You to the Ubuntu Team!

fowl
May 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I would just like to take a moment to say thank you to all who have dedicated hours into the Ubuntu project. I have used Ubuntu off and on since i first heard about it a few years ago. I am an average nix newbie and have had a few issues overtime with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I am not a genius by far haha but i have been able to work out most of my problems with a trusty internet connection and the guides and forum posts i have seen.

The latest version 10.4 Lucid Lynx has met every expectation i have ever wanted out of an operating system. I can now easily stream video and music files all over my house. I have a PS3, Xbox, Laptop, Modded Xbox and my trusty Desktop all in different rooms. The integrated (Looks to be to me anyway) Facebook, Yahoo and the like into the OS from boot is nice. I do not have to load anything. I am sure there are others out there that are FB junkies like myself.

There are too many things i use and have fun with to list. I will simply say that with all of the features and ease of use finally poking in (like running something haha, you have no idea how hard it used to be for me to figure out!) and the great customizations of the desktop environment itself.

Hats off to you all and i truly thank you,

Jason Fowler

elessar78
May 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'll second that. I'm new to Ubuntu as well, but a long time Linux and Unix user. My wife got a new laptop and I took her old laptop and converted it to Ubuntu. I love it. I read the long note yesterday from the guy who tried Windows 7 and his exasperation with it. If I truly had a replacement for Photoshop (tied gimp and gimpshop but it's not the same) and Adobe Lightroom I would be switching my desktop to Ubuntu as well.

Thanks to all the dedicated individuals who put in long hours working on this operating system and for Lucid Lynx as well.
Regards,
Elessar

fowl
May 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
This computer came with Windows Vista which i did not really care for. I tried the Windows 7 RC until it expired and overall i did like it. The tab preview windows were not that great but it was not too bad overall compared to Vista which was had too many flaws. I just felt that after spending nearly 2000 dollars on a computer and then in less then a year having to spend more on a new operating system was silly. Ubuntu is the way to go. The next major computer i built will be a PC for the living room. I will be using Ubuntu for this as i like all the media apps and their ease of use.

Rackstar
May 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'll second that. I'm new to Ubuntu as well, but a long time Linux and Unix user. My wife got a new laptop and I took her old laptop and converted it to Ubuntu. I love it. I read the long note yesterday from the guy who tried Windows 7 and his exasperation with it. If I truly had a replacement for Photoshop (tied gimp and gimpshop but it's not the same) and Adobe Lightroom I would be switching my desktop to Ubuntu as well.

Thanks to all the dedicated individuals who put in long hours working on this operating system and for Lucid Lynx as well.
Regards,
Elessar

I don't know if you have heard about Bibble? I switched from Lightroom to Bibble and I gained features IMO. Proprietary though. www.bibblelabs.com

TheNerdAL
May 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Yes, I thank the Ubuntu team and all the Developers and Testers. :)