PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I tried, but I couldn't do it!

OldGoat58
May 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm not talking about potato chips either. I'm talking about 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx. I tried upgrading to Lucid through the Update Manager, I tried Lucid from a fresh install from CD, and the bottom line is, I didn't get it to work.

If it wasn't JAVA problems it was spontaneous closing of applications, or sound, here now, gone next reboot. If it wasn't any of those particular issues it was the issue of looping back to the sign in splash screen instead of shutting down. There would be times when my system would spike my CPU and memory resources to the point that the system froze. My energy consumption was through the roof and the heat it was creating was close to damaging.

I am reasonably certain that all of these issues are directly related to my lack of understanding with the Ubuntu / Linux OS. Until November last year the only thing I had ever used was Windows OS, and had never installed an OS on my own. It took time, and a lot of patience on the part of Ubuntu Forums, but I got comfortable navigating Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, and that is what I just downgraded to.

For me it's not a down grade but rather an upgrade. My system is fully restored to 100% stable, all applications are working as they should, and I no longer have the dread of coming to my computer for fear of another issue. Thank you to the people of Ubuntu Forums for trying to help me, and when I asked for it, you gave me the link to an archive download of 9.10 Karmic. The day may come when I will try 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx again, but not in the near future. Like my mentors told me in November, it's not always best being fisrt.

Cheers Everyone and 3 Cheers to Ubuntu!

Mike
Fairless Hills, PA

](*,)

sanderd17
May 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I had the opposite story: When I went from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 everything crashed. Finally I left ubuntu and started with Mint. That seemed to work almost like it should. Because it's based on ubuntu I still recognised some problems of ubuntu 9.10 but it was do-able. And now, six months later, the installation of Ubuntu 10.04 went just perfect.

Sorry to hear your story but it will become all right I hope.

2hot6ft2
May 11th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Don't feel bad about it OldGoat58,

There were a lot of changes that went into affect with this release and a lot that needs to be ironed out yet. In the push to make it stay current for the next 2 years they made some tough choices. Some worked out and some didn't work out quite as well and some were simply out of their control. There's always risk involved when staying on the cutting edge with a rolling release.

You gave it a good shot. I still have 9.10 (actually UE 2.5) on my machines while I try and get this release to work right just a couple minor things to sort out still nothing major. Anyway 10.10 will be here before you know it and UE 2.7 before that so I'll be re-installing again before long anyway.

So keep the faith and enjoy 9.10 it was a good release and will be supported for another year.
:guitar:

OldGoat58
May 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Don't feel bad about it OldGoat58,

There were a lot of changes that went into affect with this release and a lot that needs to be ironed out yet. In the push to make it stay current for the next 2 years they made some tough choices. Some worked out and some didn't work out quite as well and some were simply out of their control. There's always risk involved when staying on the cutting edge with a rolling release.

You gave it a good shot. I still have 9.10 (actually UE 2.5) on my machines while I try and get this release to work right just a couple minor things to sort out still nothing major. Anyway 10.10 will be here before you know it and UE 2.7 before that so I'll be re-installing again before long anyway.

So keep the faith and enjoy 9.10 it was a good release and will be supported for another year.
:guitar:

Thank you for confirming what I thought but no one would confirm. I work in an IT department with a lot of developers and programmers, although I am neither of those, and when they run and scamper the worst is when they try to address too many concerns in one release. As an outsider looking in on the IT industry it leads me to believe that if there is time to do it twice, there must have been of time to do it right the first time. Cutting edge is best left to knives, in my opinion.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next release!

Mike
Fairless Hills, PA

](*,)