PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to I install "Rockbox" on my Sansa Fuze?

Nightstrike2009
May 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hello

I have been having problems getting Ubuntu and my Sansa fuze to transfer music It has been suggested I install "Rockbox" but I understand that doing this wrong may "brick" my player how would I install this correctly on Ubuntu 10.04?

ronnielsen1
May 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility#Download

Download above for linux, right click - properties - allow executing as program

double click on the tar.bz2 file and this will make a folder RockboxUtility-v1.2.6

Enter this folder and click on Rockbox utilit\y

This will prompt you to select your media player.

It appears that
Sansa c200 series (not v2), e200 series (all models), and Fuze v1 (not v2) sansa Fuze v1 is supported, not v2 - make sure of your model

Nightstrike2009
May 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
by ronnielsen1: Download above for linux, right click - properties - allow executing as program

double click on the tar.bz2 file

I have done this but when i double click on the file, it shows another folder i click that and it opens a window showing "RockboxUtility" (10.4mb) but then I get an "Open Files" dialog the "Available Application" is blank and the "Recent Applications" is blank i have the option to ad my own but am unsure what to choose.

ronnielsen1
May 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm trying this on a 32 bit computer so here's the steps I took

Click on the http://download.rockbox.org/rbutil/linux/RockboxUtility-v1.2.6.tar.bz2 and choose SAVE to my computer

A Downloads window will open showing the file that you're downloading. Right click on this file and select Open Containing Folder

Right click on the rockbox tar.bz2 file and choose Properties Go tp Permissions tab
and make sure Allow Executing File As Program is checked. Close this window

Go back to the rockbox tar.bz2 file - right click and choose Extract here This will make a RockboxUtility folder. Enter this folder and you should see an executable file of rockbox. If you click this it should start

Nightstrike2009
May 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Got it mate

I didn't do back to the rockbox tar.bz2 file and click extract here thats what i was doing wrong, my player is a v1.2 by the way so it should work now.

Thanks for your help ronnielsen1, much apprieciated :-)

ronnielsen1
May 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Glad you got it. My son loved it when he had an ipod. He has an unsupported rca now though