PDA

View Full Version : Something I never thought I'd say: I've been away from Windows for too long

mkendall
May 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
My cell phone wasn't allowing me to make or receive calls. It was getting a signal, the bill had been paid and wasn't late, but calls coming in would go straight to voice-mail and all attempts to call out would give the message, "Unable to place the call." A few hours later I came up with the brilliant idea that maybe it needed to be rebooted, so I powered down the cell phone and turned it back on. Problem fixed.

It took me hours to come up with a solution that I would have tried immediately had it been a Windows-run computer. I've been away from Windows for too long.

Lensman
May 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hehe, good one! :lolflag:

Phrea
May 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
\o/

medic2000
May 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
:biggrin: I can't even use Windows now :)

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I suppose so in an odd way. I once tried over the phone to fix a problem my friend was having that would have been fixed by a simple reboot, I was under the assumption it would not help.

julio_cortez
May 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
It took me hours to come up with a solution
This means that you've not been away from Windows for that long then ;)

By the way: I still try the "reboot" thing before everything.. I'm still a Windows user after all (even if I last booted up Windows a week ago just to manage my mp3 player and to play some matches with PES) :)

Khakilang
May 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
One thing I miss is the virus update instead now I am an Update manager addict.

bluelamp999
May 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
One thing I miss is the virus update instead now I am an Update manager addict.

Me too! It's almost an obsession...

Gotta get them latest updates!

Dayofswords
May 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
you didnt have to turn off the cell phone...
did you do this first?

man cell-phone
or

sudo at&t-get update

t0p
May 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
There's nothing particularly Windows-ish about rebooting to fix problems. This is a solution that has worked with electrical hardware for a very, very long time. When I was young, back before Microsoft even existed, we had a TV that frequently needed a power cycle to fix. And I currently own audio equipment that needs the occasional kick or thump.

There have been a few times when I've fixed computer problems by turning the machine off then on again. These issues were probably hardware-related rather than down to the OS. But a simple search of these forums will unearth lots of posts about Ubuntu freezing and needing a hard reboot.

lotharmat
May 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Me too! It's almost an obsession...

Gotta get them latest updates!

Is that like Pokemon - "gotta catch em'all!"