PDA

View Full Version : Growth Numbers?

xyzzy_bill
March 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I've installed Ubuntu, and all I can say is WOW! I'm not even downloading Fedora Core 5.

Now I need data to help sell it internally to my company. The number one thing managment will ask is: How many Ubuntu users are there? The second is: How fast is it growing?

I've Googled until I'm tired, but no good data is forthcoming. Everyone keeps calling Ubuntu's growth "explosive". That sounds good, but managers need numbers.

Got any?

Thanks,
Bill

P.S. If you have good numbers, post them on the Ubuntu Home Page! A couple of simple user download counters would do!

az
March 21st, 2006, 01:36 AM
1. The useless number that I had heard some time ago was six million desktops and doubling every six months. But 77 percent of all statistics are useless.

2. To sell something internaly, it is much more compelling to look at the professional support that is available for Ubuntu. Look at the ubuntulinux.org website for that. Not only do Canonical support it, but hundreds of other companies around the world.

The business model for free-libre software is professional services and support. The software is not property. People get paid to make it better, but what makes it better for one person makes it better for everybody. People make money by *providing the service* of contributing code or supporting the code.

You should have no problem finding top-quality support for a migration to Ubuntu.