PDA

View Full Version : pointers plz, victim of a fraudulent web site

Diabolis
May 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I found this site that had a file I wanted, but it asked you to be registered. Of course, registering has a fee and it offered a 3 day membership for a couple of bucks. So, why not? I did it since I needed that file. But to my surprise I wasn't able to download the file after that and not only that!!! Look at the billing:

Welcome to the worlds greatest file sharing software website on the internet!

Please print out this page for your records.

Billing information
360 Share Prime Downloads, 3 Day Full & Unlimited Access - 1.95 USD

Files request service & ?dditional search is a service that allows you to request the necessary files, as well as receive updates and new releases. In addition, it enables searching opportunities in our VIP database.

You got Files request service & ?dditional search - 39.95 USD

Stay protected, download all you want everywhere and forget about any possible pretentions for downloading prohibited content! Get 66% off of PrivacyProtectPro.com access.

You got PrivacyProtect Pro account - 39.95 USD

Grand total: 81.85 USD

The site is: http://prime-download.com/
The payment appears under the name of: http://sprttrade.com/

It never asked me if I wanted to get the extra options, it just charged them. Which are the places where I should report this? How does anybody can deal with things like this? How come a site like that is working???

According to the terms and conditions "prime-download.com offers an unconditional 3 day money back guarantee to all of our customers. We are happy to refund if you are not entirely satisfied."

I have contacted them through their support form to ask for this 3 day money back guarantee. Should be fine, since I haven't downloaded a single file from them, however I don't expect an answer. Someone tried the same thing and this is what he got: http://www.scamfraudalert.com/showthread.php?t=8682 Anyway will wait 24 hrs.

Sef
May 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM
1) Call or check the web site of your credit card company, tell them what happened and ask them how to have the charges reversed.

2) You need to find out the laws in Mexico or the country where you are living. Laws govening credit cards are county specific. Hence, someone living in another country cannot give you advice on what to do.

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Such places like that assault my sense of honor. It is worse than mere trickery. I for one hope you get your money back in full. Good luck to you. As was said I could not advise you as I live in the United States.

handy
May 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
If you report it to your credit card company, they will ask you for all of the details & get your money back for you.

In the past I attempted to purchase a shareware package for windows & when I selected the button to take me to a secure site to make payment, unbeknownst to me my LMB click was hijacked & the site I went to was a fake that took the $30- or so & more importantly my credit card details, & every month they took more funds; more than $30- too. Their name & location changed moving around the US, from Florida to the North. The shareware I wanted to pay for was produced in the Netherlands.

I was incredibly busy at the time & really had no time to spare (initially) with this problem. Eventually I called my credit card company & they got my money back. They said that they could only work inside a 90 day window, any money lost outside of that would be gone.

Fortunately I lost nothing but time, which was more precious to me at that time.

That was some years ago, though I expect things will be more efficient now rather than less.

Actually I made a permanent monthly contribution via the web to Avaaz this week, & within 20 minutes I got a phone call from a representative of the credit card company asking me whether I had done so!

BenAshton24
May 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM
The terms & conditions clearly state that you are opted into the extras by default (See section 10: Payment Policy)

I'm no expert but it looks like they're justified in charging you that $81.85. You are actually supposed to read the terms and conditions before checking that little box you know; especially with sites like this one.

Edit: According to the terms and conditions "prime-download.com offers an unconditional 3 day money back guarantee to all of our customers. We are happy to refund if you are not entirely satisfied."

Good luck,
Ben.

handy
May 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
The terms & conditions clearly state that you are opted into the extras by default (See section 10: Payment Policy)

I'm no expert but it looks like they're justified in charging you that $81.85. You are actually supposed to read the terms and conditions before checking that little box you know; especially with sites like this one.

Edit: According to the terms and conditions "prime-download.com offers an unconditional 3 day money back guarantee to all of our customers. We are happy to refund if you are not entirely satisfied."

Good luck,
Ben.

It's certainly good to know that before you make the mistake of calling the credit card company.

Khakilang
May 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Like any business transaction. Always read the fine print. There is always a "Got ya" thing hidden somewhere.

3rdalbum
May 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
All those websites are scams. Mozilla has had quite a few complaints from people who've been tricked into paying money for Firefox from a similar site, and those other sites have charged them for services they didn't ask for.

Don't just get the charge reversed. Cancel your credit card, because before you know it your credit card details will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and you'll be the target of identity theft. Cancel the card and get it reissued with a new number, new expiry date or new 3-digit number.

t0p
May 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
This kind of case is not at all uncommon. The OP feels he has been cheated, but actually it seems he explicitly agreed to the terms and conditions. This is why we should always check out the t&c's before ticking that box; especially when dealing with an unfamiliar site.

As a previous poster pointed out, the site in question also offers a three day money back guarantee. I think it's very unfair to call the site fraudulent unless you find that the guarantee doesn't work.

The fact that the OP started this thread unaware of the t&c's and the money back guarantee illustrates the fact that you really do need to be fully aware of what you are doing on the internet. Some people think it's a game or like TV because it takes place on a screen. But the virtual world is also the real world, especially where money is concerned. Don't give away your credit card details or other personal info so easily.

julio_cortez
May 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately I've seen some cases like this for working reasons and it's always a pain to get things sorted. You may succeed though, if you have a 3-days period to ask being refunded then try to benefit from it before asking to your credit card company.

Then, even if you get your money back, it'll be wise to ask your company to cancel the card you currently have and to issue another one. I may also sound "over-protective" but I had to deal with cases like that for work and no, they're not funny.

Don't give away your credit card details or other personal info so easily.
Right. I for one have a pre-paid and rechargeable credit card and I only put on it the money I need to complete the transaction I need to do, or a very few more (just in case).
So, even if someone got my credit card details they wouldn't go far (unless they put money on it by themselves which I don't believe is the case) ;)

Good luck in getting your money back anyway!!

CharlesA
May 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Looks a bit shady to me, I have doubts as to it's legality.

Kathy Simpson
June 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm not gonna stand for 360 Share Prime Downloads, but I have to give them a credit at least for feedback they provide...I don't agree they don't respond, as just a few days ago was talking to a representative over the phone and since I couldn't find necessary file, requested a refund, which I was promised to receive back within a few days...I was checking my account today and money was there...
My advise to you, be patient and careful:)

formaldehyde_spoon
June 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm not gonna stand for 360 Share Prime Downloads, but I have to give them a credit at least for feedback they provide...I don't agree they don't respond, as just a few days ago was talking to a representative over the phone and since I couldn't find necessary file, requested a refund, which I was promised to receive back within a few days...I was checking my account today and money was there...
My advise to you, be patient and careful:)

Hmm, always interesting when a brand new forum member (not UF specific) joins and posts in defence of a company being complained about.

fatality_uk
June 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hmm, always interesting when a brand new forum member (not UF specific) joins and posts in defence of a company being complained about.

Would have to agree in this case!

Also I sincerely hope that you get your money back. It is very shady practise to do this. Unfortunately, many of these companies set-up, take the funds are close down within weeks or months.