PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Install Help Please

losdragon
May 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hello Ubuntu Community,

I am new to this OS... I tried it out on my womans laptop which is really powerful. Then I noticed that there was xubuntu which was for older computers. Now when I first started using this sys on the laptop it impressed me with it's speed compared to windows 7.

I decided that it might would be better then using xp on my old desktop so I downloaded a several copies with the same trouble during each version during install. It doesn't stop but it gets really slow when configuring the language-pack-en-base. I am currently at en_gb.utf-8... and was wondering if this was normal.

Any help would be appreciated because I really like the system and was going to install it as the only OS on the old computer. Pentium 2, 450mhz, 64mb ram which the ram will be upgraded later on in a month or two. Xp runs like molasses on the desktop.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the install process or should I wait and be patient. I really like the OS but I am getting discouraged by the install time and don't want to give up on it

kansasnoob
May 7th, 2010, 11:57 PM
A 450mhz CPU with 64mb ram is not going to run any flavor of *buntu.

You might be able to run Puppy Linux, Debris Linux, or Tiny Core. I preferred Damn Small Linux but it hasn't been updated in ages.