PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent fans unite and vote for a Linux version!

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM
EDIT: first alpha version available at http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux

32bit command-line only!

Discussion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1566674

BitTorrent Inc has launched a new service were you can suggest ideas to be implemented in uTorrent. The most voted idea so far is "a Linux version", although it has only 434 votes so far.

What do you think about raising that to a coupe of millions? If you ever wanted an uTorrent version for Linux, this is your opportunity.

Vote at http://www.utorrent.com/ideabank

I don't use uTorrent and don't really care about it. I'm happy with my open source Ktorrent, but I thought this could make a lot of Ubuntu users happy. Besides, I think a big player like uTorrent being available for Linux would be nice.

Viva
May 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I think Deluge is as good as it gets.

Munk3y
May 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Yep, Deluge > uTorrent

Viva
May 7th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'll still vote though, it is always great to see a windows software ported to linux.

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I think Deluge is as good as it gets.

Yep, Deluge > uTorrent

I agree 100%. My recommendations of torrent clients are Deluge and Ktorrent for Gnome and KDE respectively. Nevertheless, a lot of people still use uTorrent with Wine. I think that is not a good idea, specially with such excellent native and open source clients available. But I also think would be nice to make it available for Linux anyway.

Shakz
May 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Happy with the default Throttle myself. Used all the others before....It works...thats good enough for me.

cariboo
May 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I haven't used uTorrent for quite a while, but I'll register my vote for any Linux version of a program.

Giant Speck
May 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
We have so many torrent applications already. Do we really need another one?

Hman242
May 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Despite Deluge being my favorite torrent client, I still voted for this.

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM
We have so many torrent applications already. Do we really need another one?

I don't need, you don't need, but other people might prefer uTorrent. What's wrong about the diversity? Besides, is undeniable that uTorrent is the most popular torrent client in the world. Again..I don't like it and don't use it...although I have used it for a while o my Windows time. Nevertheless, I think would be great to see the most popular torrent client ported to Linux, specially if that idea get a huge amount of votes ahead the others. Perhaps this could also help to make Windows users more aware of Linux, after all they claim uTorrent has 50 million users.

lovinglinux
May 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Poll is up!

Frogs Hair
May 8th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I have used a torrent twice , once to download 9.10 and again to download 10.04 .

dragos240
May 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
What's wrong with transmission. Works like a charm here, and I'm more used to transmission than any other torrent client.

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Transmission/Deluge here. I know a lot of folks that like Utorrent though.

I have used a torrent twice , once to download 9.10 and again to download 10.04 .

I wish torrents had more adoption to some common stuff. It is a cool thing to download and share the load.

Ruzbeh
May 8th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Isn't there another uTorrent-like app besides Deluge? Deluge doesn't track how much you've downloaded since you've started the program, which is what uTorrent does. As for Transmission, you can't quickly select/deslect many files for a torrent; it's beyond me why anyone would want to use Transmission.

oobuntoo
May 8th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Don't need it. KTorrent is as good as uTorrent.

lovinglinux
May 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Don't need it. KTorrent is as good as uTorrent.

Much better IMO.

Dark Aspect
May 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I pefer rtorrent on both my netbook and desktop, ktorrent was nice but is rather bloated now. I've never used a torrent client on windows so I don't know how good utorrent is.

aklo
May 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I used utorrent in windows too(and is probably the best in torrent client in windows) but in linux i find that transmission is good enough for me.

It is a torrent programs so most of the features of "good" torrent programs are the same.
The only feature missing in transmission is a comment or tag for my torrents..i have so many of them of names with numbers and i don't know which is which sometimes.

I've heard people say deluge is good but i'm not sure...i may try it one day.

Edit: One important feature is to shut down when downloads are completed in utorrent...is there any client with this feature in ubuntu?

lovinglinux
May 8th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Edit: One important feature is to shut down when downloads are completed in utorrent...is there any client with this feature in ubuntu?

KTorrent

marshmallow1304
May 8th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Between Deluge, KTorrent, and the up-and-coming Flush (http://sourceforge.net/projects/flush/), I think we're pretty much set for torrent clients. I'd give it a go though.

northwestuntu
May 8th, 2010, 02:48 AM
im very happy with the selection of linux apps. no need for utorrent.

aklo
May 8th, 2010, 03:36 AM
KTorrent

but i'm using gnome...i don't want ktorrent to install a bunch of kde libs...

themarker0
May 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM
God i would love one!

WinterRain
May 8th, 2010, 04:21 AM
it has only 434 votes so far.

629 now. ;)

Vote people!

screaminj3sus
May 8th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I have 500+ torrents seeding and cant use linux on this particular machine because it is impossible to copy them all over to another client, they are scattered across two drives and the .torrent files in my appdata folder include old torrents that have been deleted. Utorrent on linux would be a godsend if I could properly import my windows utorrent settings.

-grubby
May 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I would vote if it didn't require you to register.

uljanow
May 8th, 2010, 07:39 AM
A proprietary bittorrent client is what linux really needs.;)

Apart from that the term "utorrent spying" returns 4,950,000 hits on Google.

libtorrent is pretty good and it's the basis of deluge, rtorrent, ...

shafin
May 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I have 500+ torrents seeding and cant use linux on this particular machine because it is impossible to copy them all over to another client, they are scattered across two drives and the .torrent files in my appdata folder include old torrents that have been deleted. Utorrent on linux would be a godsend if I could properly import my windows utorrent settings.
You can move them to linux now using uTorrent on Wine

medic2000
May 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Continue to voting. A lot of people coming from Windows prefer uTorrent. Though i like Transmission and Deluge very much.

Lensman
May 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
When I used Windows on occasion, uTorrent was excellent. Under Linux, Deluge is great, but there is nothing I need that Transmission can't do.

Invincible23
May 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM
used transmission and deluge, deluge fits my needs so sticking with it currently, you need my vote for utorrent, you have it. always eager to help. vote count stands at 745

EarthMind
May 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Vuze for live :P. I still voted yes though to help those who want a Linux version.

A_T
May 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
We already have Deluge, Transmission, qBittorrent and Flush.

cascade9
May 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I've always been a fan of utorrent, and if there was an opensource port for linux, I'd use it. But I would guess that any port would be closed, and utorrent (probably) wouldnt have enough advatages over the opensource torrent clients for me to use it.

Though, if there was a closed source foobar2000 linux port, I'd use that :)

infestor
May 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM
meh...deluge does the job

lovinglinux
May 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
870 and raising :)

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2010, 09:11 AM
If you like uTorrent, then you can celebrate. There are already 3248 votes and they changed the status of the idea to "Planned". A linux version is under way.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158999&stc=1&d=1275379858

aklo
June 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Definitely using it if it works like in windows.

I miss the "Shutdown when download complete" feature.

Random_Dude
June 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
If you like uTorrent, then you can celebrate.

Even if you don't use uTorrent.
It's always good to see more software developers taking Linux seriously as a potential market.

That's great news, uTorrent is an excellent program.

Cheers :cool:

Invincible23
June 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
If you like uTorrent, then you can celebrate. There are already 3248 votes and they changed the status of the idea to "Planned". A linux version is under way.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158999&stc=1&d=1275379858

Cheers :D News confirmed...

uTorrent For Linux Is Coming, Finally

Five years after uTorrent was released for the Windows platform the development team has announced that it’s working on a Linux version of the torrent client. The massive demand from users is cited as one of the main reasons why Linux users will have a native uTorrent application this coming summer.

utorrneuTorrent for Windows saw its first public release in September 2005 and soon became the most widely used BitTorrent application. Every month, more than 50 million people use uTorrent and this number continues to grow alongside BitTorrent’s ever-increasing user base.

Ever since uTorrent was released, Mac and Linux users have begged the developers to release a version of the client designed to work on their computers. In 2006, when uTorrent was sold to BitTorrent Inc., the company announced that a Mac version was coming. In 2008, nearly two years after the announcement, it was finally released to the public.

With the the release of the Mac version, Linux users were the only ones left out in the cold, but this is about to change. The uTorrent development team has just announced that they are working on a Linux version of the client. Further details on the time line and an eventual release date are not available at the moment.

The Linux version is the most backed idea on uTorrent’s recently introduced Idea Bank. The Idea Bank is prominently featured on uTorrent’s website and allows users to submit and vote for ideas they want to see implemented. In just a few weeks the idea of a Linux version has been supported by 3254 people. This huge demand from users is one of the main reasons why the Linux version is now in progress.

“Since launching our Idea Bank on uTorrent.com there has been significant demand for a native client for Linux,” BitTorrent Inc. spokesperson Jenna Broughton told TorrentFreak. “We obviously want to do our best to deliver whenever we see a good fit between our goals and capabilities and what our users say they want.”

“We are committed to bringing a lightweight uTorrent client that embraces the usability and features of our Windows and Mac clients to Linux users,” Broughton said. The exact feature-set of the Linux client will remain a secret for now, but in common with other versions of uTorrent it wont be Open Source.

The release date for the client is unknown at this point but unlike the Mac version it should come out relatively quickly. “While the exact specs as well as the timing are still being developed, we expect uTorrent for Linux to be available for download later this summer,” we were informed.

Whether or not the uTorrent Linux release will ever reach the massive market share it has on Windows remains to be seen. The Mac version has been well received but it is by no means the most used BitTorrent client on the platform. Whatever happens, it’s definitely good to see that uTorrent will soon be available on all three major platforms.

lovinglinux
September 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
First alpha version available at http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux

32bit command-line only!

Discussion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1566674

jrusso2
September 3rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
Can't seem to find where to vote for the utorrent linux version. Its all mac

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Can't seem to find where to vote for the utorrent linux version. Its all mac

There is no need to vote anymore. They have already accepted the idea and released the first alpha version. See previous post.

Spice Weasel
September 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Deluge Deluge Deluge Deluge Deluge!

kpkeerthi
September 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Waste of time and energy. Linux has got plenty of open source/free Bittorrent clients.

overdrank
September 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thread closed as requested by OP. :)