PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing transparency in terminal

rperrin
May 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
By default in Lucid, Gnome Terminal is transparent.

I was on my new Lucid install[1], in Terminal, typing away on the far side of some sshes, and reading some code, when I noticed how awkward it was to read because the background was showing through. "Fine", I thought, "I know where that setting is, although it's a strange default".

But Terminal's "Edit Profiles->Edit->Background" revealed it was set to "Solid color". In fact, setting it to "Transparent background", and cranking the Shade up to Maximum was one way of removing the transparency.

A little hunting around revealed that "System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects" could be set to None instead of Normal, and that would fix the problem.

So, your choices for a functional terminal are to disable all Compiz eyecandy, or to turn on transparency in order to turn off transparency.

Does this strike anybody else as wrong? Is there another control I've missed?

- Richard

[1] First install on modern hardware in a looong time, so I've missed all this compiz stuff till now.

jonthysell
May 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah I agree, this should be a bug. Thanks for the setting transparency to max tip though, now I can use something other than that awful transparent purple.

svk
May 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I would like to know if it's possible to adjust the transparency in the terminal. It's actually kind of useful to me, but the default is a little bit too transparent and hard to work with.

KdotJ
May 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I would like to know if it's possible to adjust the transparency in the terminal. It's actually kind of useful to me, but the default is a little bit too transparent and hard to work with.

Yeah this can be easily done... by opening a terminal and going to:

Edit > Profile Preferences > Background

There is a slider bar on there which will allow you to adjust the transparency.

I personally like it, I have my terminal black (quite transparent) with white text :p

svk
May 9th, 2010, 01:45 AM
All right, I think I got what I wanted (a slightly less transparent background), but it's so very counter-intuitive! In order to decrease the transparency, I actually had to move the transparency slider in Gnome terminal preferences to the right (which is supposed to increase transparency!!!).

Here's the original problem that rperrin, the topic starter, was referring to. When the "Solid color" option is selected in Gnome terminal preferences (with Visual Effects turned on in System->Preferences->Appearance), the background is actually transparent:

http://imgur.com/R5pBW.png

When you change the setting in Gnome terminal to "Transparent background", here's what happens when the slider is half way (roughly the same):

http://imgur.com/ClpPM.png

When it's all the way at "maximum" transparency, the background actually becomes solid!

http://imgur.com/CscYn.png

This is a little bit backwards! I got what I wanted by moving the slider to about 80%.

floomby
May 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I had this as well, although not that transparent, more like a barely noticeable transparent.