PDA

View Full Version : CMD for Ubuntu Lucid

Hosmion
May 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hello everyone. I am coding a couple of batch files to make it easier to start up programs but I can't find a program like cmd.exe for Windows that executes the command. Does anyone have any things similar to it so I can execute my commands?

Thanks,
~ToM
Back on Linux :)

Tony Flury
May 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM
what you are looking for is the Bash shell.

add this line :

#! /bin/sh

at the top of your "batch" file (they are called scripts in Linux), and then do

chmod +x <filename>

your file is now automatically be interpreted correctly by the right shell, and is executable - so you can run it from your command line :

./<filename>

If the file is in your currently directory

MadCow108
May 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
wine has a cmd which should be able to execute many bat files (~/.win/drive_c/windows/system32/cmd.exe)

but if you are writing new ones stick to the by far more versatile linux or posix shells.
ubuntu comes with bash and dash by default.
using bash is recommended (/bin/bash) as it has more features and it is very widely used.

if you need better portability to other unix system use dash (/bin/sh) as what runs in dash runs on every posix conforming shell (but that does not include window's cmd).

you'll find many many tutorials with google

Lux Perpetua
May 8th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Hello everyone. I am coding a couple of batch files to make it easier to start up programs but I can't find a program like cmd.exe for Windows that executes the command. Does anyone have any things similar to it so I can execute my commands?

Thanks,
~ToM
Back on Linux :)Welcome to Linux! :-) Indeed, the shell (the Linux/Unix equivalent of Windows' command prompt) is a much more essential part of Linux than the fancy GUI.