PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04LTS installation problems.

vayshti
May 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I have having difficulties getting 10.04LTS to install - hoping someone can help out. I am a beginner. Completely. But I hope I've been pretty thorough before coming to you all for help.

I have a boot CD which works. I've tried it on another computer and it's all fine.

On the Asus L4500R that I am attempting to install it on, it:

goes to the boot menu
on selecting either install or run from CD, it flicks to a cursor screen, then to a black screen while the CD reads for a bit, then stops.
So I've run through all the bootparameters suggested at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters.
All of them failed to improve things, except for "nomodeset" - but then it hangs on the "ubuntu ....." screen.

Just in case this is helpful, I had a quick look at nomodeset with no splash, and towards the bottom, just before it hung I saw the following:

[35.018139] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
[35.024613] Pid: 1, comm: run-it Not tainted 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu.

And then a bunch of call trace stuff.

So can anyone help?

gordintoronto
May 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
How much memory is in the computer?

vayshti
May 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
How much memory is in the computer?

Hmm - it didn't notify me you'd replied... cheers.

The Asus has 629.7 - so more than enough to cope, one would think. It's running on a M processor.

So it's an old machine, but not stupidly so.

vayshti
May 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
bump

vayshti
May 10th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I posted this in the Beginners forum two and a bit days ago, but haven't had much luck finding answers there - hopefully by reposting here, I'll get a little more joy.

I have having difficulties getting 10.04LTS to install - hoping someone can help out. I am a beginner. Completely. But I hope I've been pretty thorough before coming to you all for help.

I have a boot CD which works. I've tried it on another computer and it's all fine.

On the Asus L4500R (629.7 in memory, M processor) that I am attempting to install it on, it:

goes to the boot menu
on selecting either install or run from CD, it flicks to a cursor screen, then to a black screen while the CD reads for a bit, then stops.
So I've run through all the bootparameters suggested at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters.
All of them failed to improve things, except for "nomodeset" - but then it hangs on the "ubuntu ....." screen.

Just in case this is helpful, I had a quick look at nomodeset with no splash, and towards the bottom, just before it hung I saw the following:

[35.018139] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
[35.024613] Pid: 1, comm: run-it Not tainted 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu.

And then a bunch of call trace stuff.

So can anyone help?

ghaspias
May 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Could you try with (after F6 in grub)
... nomodeset expert single --
in the kernel command-line?

I have had similar problems, and perhaps that drops you to a prompt at some point.
If it does, please type
dmesg
to see if there are some more error messages.

lisati
May 10th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Threads merged. Please remember we are all volunteers here, the person best able to answer your question might not have seen it yet.

hatebreed
May 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
have you tried the acpi=no apci=no yet? since it's a little older system the new kernel might have issues with that.

vayshti
May 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Could you try with (after F6 in grub)
... nomodeset expert single --
in the kernel command-line?

I have had similar problems, and perhaps that drops you to a prompt at some point.
If it does, please type
dmesg
to see if there are some more error messages.

Thanks for replying!

Your suggestion definitely did something different.

This time I saw the 10.04LTS desktop pattern for a moment, before it brought up a Recovery Menu Screen.

It has the resume/clean/dpkg/failsafeX/grub/netroot options listed, but the screen is not functioning - arrow keys do not toggle between options, instead leave "^[[B" on the screen, and Enter does not work.

There was no prompt to enter dmesg.

I ran the process again - and again to be sure - different result this time. Still no prompt for dmesg, no sight of the desktop pattern - just error messages, and a hang. I've put a screen shot here. (http://www.anarchisma.net/vayshti/images/misc/messages1.jpg)

vayshti
May 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM
have you tried the acpi=no apci=no yet? since it's a little older system the new kernel might have issues with that.

Do you mean acpi=off, and noapic? If so, yes. I tried all the options given in the F6 bootparameters menu.

vayshti
May 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for merging!