PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen using alternate cd on hp compaq 6710b (INTEL Mobile GM965/960)

tim__b
May 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
When trying to install Lucid on my HP Compaq 6710b (INTEL Mobile GM965/960 graphic controller) using the alternate i386cd with an usb pen i (re-)experiencing (known from the Jaunty installation) the following problem:
Boot from USB (works)
Select language (works)
Choose to install ubuntu (works)
Removing quit from the boot options, hit enter, see some output (works)
Starting the installation interface (fail)
The screen wents to black, but system seems not froozen. What i've tried to fix this issue:
fb=false as bootoption (worked in jaunty, does not work with lucid)
frambuffer=false
fb=off
debian-installer/framebuffer=false
vga=123, tried all of the offered modes
vga=771 (get some screwed up output on the screen, which i guess from that the system/machine is not frozen)
i915.modeset=1
i915.modeset=0
xforcevesa etc
Anyone managed to install Lucids with INTEL graphics + the alternate cd?

PS: I need the alternate cd to setup an encrypted system.
PPS: Just tested the desktop i386 image which works flawlessly.

oraerk
May 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
the same problem there with just the same HP 6710b. Also tried all this options and most of their combinations. No luck.

Catharsis
May 9th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Try removing "splash" from the boot options.

tim__b
May 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Catharsis, thanks for your help. Forgot to mention that I removed splash as well as quite without luck.

Catharsis
May 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Have you tried booting into Recovery Mode? If "boot normally" doesn't work, you can try "failsafeX".

Also, don't know if it's pertinent, but since you mentioned encrypted drives:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004#Encrypted%20partitions%20must%20be%20listed%2 0in%20/etc/fstab

user2037
February 6th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Ran into this as well, but it worked *before* installing a desktop environment. Strangely though it was blank until I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F1, F2, F3, etc. (F7?).

After desktop install the blank screen would not go away except when booting into recovery.

Apparently this may not be limited to Ubuntu: http://www.linlap.com/hp-compaq_6710b . Though it is odd that the Desktop install works.

wildmanne39
February 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.