PDA

View Full Version : What is the next best Linux OS?

Swiss
March 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
What is the next best Linux OS? First Ubuntu, then... What?

fuscia
March 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
What is the next best Linux OS? First Ubuntu, then... What?

xubuntu

mcduck
March 20th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Without Ubuntu I suppose I would be running Gentoo :)

ComplexNumber
March 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
suse or fedora.

Sheinar
March 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Arch. Though I'm not sure I'd call it second best to Ubuntu.

virgule
March 20th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Linux Vista? ...Dapper!

aggiechemist
March 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Kubuntu?

pillypoon
March 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Zenwalk

SilentCacophony
March 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM
My next choice is debian "sid" (unstable.) I enjoy tinkering with my OS, and I find it quite nice for that.

arctic
March 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Fedora is imho the best, followed by Ubuntu.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

briancurtin
March 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Arch. Though I'm not sure I'd call it second best to Ubuntu.
same here.

OP makes a strong assumption that everyone here thinks ubuntu is the best. dont get me wrong, its good, but not everyone sees it as the best.

Brunellus
March 20th, 2006, 09:25 PM
same here.

OP makes a strong assumption that everyone here thinks ubuntu is the best. dont get me wrong, its good, but not everyone sees it as the best.
OP's assumption is reasonable; why would you be hanging around here if you didn't...unless you were trolling.

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Slackware

Sheinar
March 20th, 2006, 10:12 PM
OP's assumption is reasonable; why would you be hanging around here if you didn't...unless you were trolling.
Because you like the community? Because you like Ubuntu and use it, even if you don't think it's the best distro? Because you want to help people with their Ubuntu-related problems, whether or not you've moved on to another distro?

There are many reasons. You don't have to leave the community just because you don't think that distro is the best out there. Like there are quite a few ex-Gentooers who use and prefer Ubuntu now, but many still post on the Gentoo forums.

Master Shake
March 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
tmsrtbt

r4ik
March 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Ubuntu is the best for me so far but it wont be my last stop.
I tried Mepis and Suse and downing Fedora at the moment.
I like to try other dists before settling down to one specific.
If only i had more time...
Ubuntu was and is my first love and we never forget that one do we.

darkmaze
March 20th, 2006, 10:56 PM
my top 5.... ubuntu fedora debian gentoo freebsd.

Kevin Carmony
March 20th, 2006, 11:55 PM
That's sort of like saying "A Lexus LS400 is the best car. What's the next best?"

Well, best at what?

For a farmer, it may be a pick up truck.
For a family a mini van or station wagon.
For a teenager a cute sports car.
For ecology minded folks a hybrid.

And so on...

Linux distro's are all different for a reason. They cater to different types of users with different needs.

I'd vote like this...

For die-hard "geeks" who want to really get their hands dirty - Gentoo.
For businesses that use RH on their servers, perhaps - Fedora.
For hobbiest who want to "sort of" get their hands dirty, but not too much - Ubuntu
For consumers, and the non-techie - Linspire
For graphics designers - OS X

Kevin

taurus
March 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM
And for brain-dead zombie - Windows XP!!! :twisted:

RJMacReady
March 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM
And for brain-dead zombie - Windows XP!!!

And for those who have not yet evolved far past the Amoeba: Windows CE

beast2k
March 21st, 2006, 12:43 AM
It's really a toss up for me between Fedora and Ubuntu I normally will choose ubuntu because it's less bloated (as in one cd) and it tends to take alot less time to set up. If you want software shoice out of the box (as in, you dont have to download it after the install) fedora is tops. I just got a look at Fedora 5 and I sure hope dapper is REALLY good or we'll loose a few users.

mstlyevil
March 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
It's really a toss up for me between Fedora and Ubuntu I normally will choose ubuntu because it's less bloated (as in one cd) and it tends to take alot less time to set up. If you want software shoice out of the box (as in, you dont have to download it after the install) fedora is tops. I just got a look at Fedora 5 and I sure hope dapper is REALLY good or we'll loose a few users.

Trust me when I say Dapper is that good. And it is still an alpha.

beast2k
March 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
Trust me when I say Dapper is that good. And it is still an alpha.
Thats great to hear I would like to see ubuntu stay on top. Any idea on a release date ? Fedora 5 came out today.

mstlyevil
March 21st, 2006, 12:54 AM
The Beta is going to be released on April 20th and the full release will be out June 1st.

beast2k
March 21st, 2006, 01:05 AM
The Beta is going to be released on April 20th and the full release will be out June 1st.
Thanks, We'll have to count backwards or something to make the time go faster :cry:

majikstreet
March 21st, 2006, 01:34 AM
in no order
ubuntu
xubuntu
flubuntu
nubuntu
kubuntu
ubuntu lite
any other ubuntus?

midwinter
March 21st, 2006, 01:56 AM
After Arch... Slackware.

lemsto
March 21st, 2006, 02:18 AM
1.Debian
2.Ubuntu, Gentoo
3.Knoppix MIB Privacy Edition

Lucho
March 21st, 2006, 02:21 AM
I'll probably get flamed for this, but most people overlook the
work being done here in Brazil. My breezy is very nice, but
some distros here are just as good.
Kurumin: the new 6.0 beta1a is out, very good. Finally, kurumin
has the two things that kept it from succeeding outside Latin
America: English laguage support, and Synaptic (before, it used
the "Magic Icons"). Otherwise it's as good as Kanotix, and certainly
more attractive.
Kalango: Everything that makes Ubuntu so good, with a much nicer
look. Performance is also somewhat better.
Dreamlinux: I don't like XFCE, but I've got to admit works well. And
this one is really a dream to use.
So, that's my $.02 on the matter. I hope I don't come off as a fanboy,
but I stand by my belief that Brazilian distros don't get the attention they
deserve.

Jedeye
March 21st, 2006, 02:33 AM
Windows ME takes the cake! But I did have a good experience With Fedora Core 4

briancurtin
March 21st, 2006, 04:23 AM
come on, use your head please. plenty of people post on plenty of boards, many people here stick around "for the community"

fuscia
March 21st, 2006, 04:34 AM
Windows ME takes the cake!

sometimes, i miss ME. maybe i'll dual boot this summer. nice av, btw.

Iandefor
March 21st, 2006, 05:14 AM
Ignoring the apparent assumption that Ubuntu is the best distribution, and, instead, choosing to interpret the question to mean "What is your next favorite distribution?", I'd have to say that I like Knoppix the best, followed closely by tomsrtbt.

vayu
March 21st, 2006, 08:30 AM
I've been using FreeBSD lately. I use it on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop. I like it. I couldn't begin to say one is any better than the other. If I had to choose one, it would be Ubuntu hands down because I can do more with it and get help with it both easier and faster.

klahjn
March 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM
next best, depends really on when you're talking. I've used alot. It also depends a lot on the user too. PC-BSD was pretty good for a while, till i borked my system with portage. Gentoo is really neat, but you really have to have the time to hack away at it. Fedora was nice w/ FC4, but 5 adds AIGLX standard, so its gonna be flakey, especially if you use an nvidia or ati card. Mandriva was pretty stable, but now that the original main developer is gone, i'd stand back and watch as the distro crumbles. Suse was nice until Beta4 i believe. After that, they got into Xgl and everything is kinda starting all over again. Slack is pretty good once you get going on it, but installing from source can get annoying after a while, so you do want to switch to slapt-get. I'm not a big fan of straight debian, it just doesn't work for me. So pretty much it is ubuntu for me, or bust. just a few thoughts

kuShadow
March 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
I'm was try to use to Gentoo, but its take very long time to build all needed packages. For server, Gentoo - the best (I'm think so..). But server must have Internet connection anyway. I want to replace my home and work computer os to Linux, and I'm think Kubuntu - the best os for it.

Ubuntu_User
March 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM
For a desktop I always liked Suse and Fedora. Arch does look very tempting though, but I haven't tried it, so I can't really comment on it.

I'm was try to use to Gentoo, but its take very long time to build all needed packages.

Doing a stage 3 install and using GRP packages you should be running in no time.

For server, Gentoo - the best (I'm think so..). But server must have Internet connection anyway.
I'll have to disagree here, I think gentoo is terrible for a server as it constantly changes and there are no stable releases. Now I know that making a stable server release has been proposed and discussed but nothing ever came out of it, so I'm not holding my breath here.

kuShadow
March 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM
I'll have to disagree here, I think gentoo is terrible for a server as it constantly changes and there are no stable releases. Now I know that making a stable server release has been proposed and discussed but nothing ever came out of it, so I'm not holding my breath here.

..It just testing, but soon may be very useful. And I'm using stage 3 for my installation. Many packages not present on CD-image, but I like portage as system.

eMuNiX
March 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
For a desktop SuSE or Ubuntu, they are both excellent and both have ‘tools’ that make the linux experience great, I use both and love both. Another favourite of mine is Yoper, a super fast distro that is quite light considering it is KDE based and it runs brilliantly on older kit (I have it on a P2 350 machine and it is perfectly useable)

AndyCooll
March 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
After Ubuntu I'd say Debian, SUSE and Fedora Core.

The philosophy of Debian, the desktop friendliness of SUSE and the all-round ability of Fedora.

:cool:

Swiss
March 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
I had thought about SuSE, but it's a 3.2GB download! And I don't have the time!
I am exploring some other Distro's mentioned though. :-D

Thanks for all the replies!

openmind
March 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Arch is a lot of fun. A good learning tool too, as you'll stay on the command line much longer. In fact I only occasionally open a GUI.

My goal is to have a system where I personally put everything on it, and know how to config it all!

John.Michael.Kane
March 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Ubuntu there is no substitute..

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Gentoo if I don't mind getting dirty, but probably OpenSuSE if I need something that's easy-up, easy-maintain for the family.