PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] howto: minimize evolution to tray

nZain
May 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
With Lucid I gave evolution another try (actually the fourth time I installed a new Ubuntu version) and after some fiddling it worked (the first time, sadly). I like the idea to gather all "message" like things in one tray icon, so basically I like the indicator-applet. However, there is no way to customize it and many users complain about this. One particular issue is that evolution cannot be minimized to this tray icon. There are a lot of workarounds, all of them (to my knowledge) circumventing the indicator-applet and using an individual tray icon. But today, I found out how to do it. So...

You want to use the indicator-message icon, but minimize evolution without an entry in the window-list?

Devilspie has the "skip_tasklist" capability. So, install devilspie (http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/devilspie) and create a script for evolution mail, e.g. $HOME/.devilspie/evolution.ds like this:

( if
( and
( matches (application_name) "evolution" )
( matches (window_name) "^.*-.Evolution" )
)
( begin
( println "--[ Evolution ]--" )
( pin )
( skip_tasklist )
( minimize )
)
)When evolution is started, the script pins evolution (so its available on all workspaces), enables skip_tasklist (so it is not shown in the window list), and minimizes it.

best
Patrick

x-shaney-x
May 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hmm, it's doing nothing here.

I added the file as well as a "test" firefox rule to make sure it's working.
When run from a terminal devilspie is showing both the .ds files are being read but doesn't actually do anything.

Though I do get a message saying /etc/devilspie doesn't exist.

iamnotthemessiah
May 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
not working here either. devilspie running

aeltester
May 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM
works right here.

( if
( and
( is (application_name) "evolution" )
( matches (window_name) "^.*-.Evolution" )
)
( begin
( pin )
( skip_tasklist )
( minimize )
)
)

x-shaney-x
May 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
That's not working for me either :(

nZain
May 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hmm, too bad :-( When you run devilspie in a terminal with the debug option, i.e.

devilspie -ddo you get the println output from my original code? Eventually, the regular expression may not work in your language setting? On my system, the output looks like this, when I have both firefox and evolution open:

patrick@patrick-laptop:~$ devilspie -d
Devil's Pie 0.22 starting...
Loading /etc/devilspie
/etc/devilspie doesn't exist
Loading /home/patrick/.devilspie
Loading /home/patrick/.devilspie/evolution.ds
Loading /home/patrick/.devilspie/firefox.ds
5 s-expressions loaded.
--[ Firefox ]--
Setting geometry '1024x750+1280+0'
Setting pinned
--[ Evolution ]--
Setting pinned
Skipping tasklist
MinimisingAs you see, it also says that /etc/devilspie is missing on my system, probably some default settings that are loaded optionally. Furthermore, I'm not sure if that works with other panel implementations - I'm using the default in gnome, i.e. gnome-panel.

x-shaney-x
May 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Loading /etc/devilspie
Loading /home/shane/.devilspie
Loading /home/shane/.devilspie/calc.ds
Loading /home/shane/.devilspie/evolution.ds
Loading /home/shane/.devilspie/firefox.ds
Loading /home/shane/.devilspie/openoffice.ds

4 s-expressions loaded.

That's it. It isn't just evolution, none of them are doing anything. The other files are just tests but I have tried all sorts of different expressions from different parts of the web and NOTHING is working for me.
I created the /etc/devilspie directory but made no difference.

Eggenheimer
May 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
It works for me if I make the match a bit more relaxed like this:

( if
( matches (window_name) ".+Evolution$" )
( begin
( println "--[ Evolution ]--" )
( pin )
( skip_tasklist )
( minimize )
)
)

x-shaney-x
May 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks, NOW it's working.
None of my others are though. Not that it matters since I only want it for Evo :)

mirajshah
August 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
i'm quite sure both nZain's and Eggenheimer's scripts work for me; devilspie runs for me, i have the script in /etc/devilspie (i use opensuse), and when i open evolution the window wireframe thingy appears to maximize then minimize to the tray. The problem is, I can't seem to get a tray icon.... is this how the scripts are intended or is something wrong?

i'd really prefer to have a tray icon :)

mirajshah
August 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM
TERMINAL OUTPUT
linux-bu4e:/etc/devilspie # devilspie -d
Loading /etc/devilspie
Loading /etc/devilspie/evolution.ds
Loading /root/.devilspie
/root/.devilspie doesn't exist
1 s-expressions loaded.
--[ Evolution ]--
Setting pinned
Skipping tasklist
Minimising

nZain
September 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
i'm quite sure both nZain's and Eggenheimer's scripts work for me; devilspie runs for me, i have the script in /etc/devilspie (i use opensuse), and when i open evolution the window wireframe thingy appears to maximize then minimize to the tray. The problem is, I can't seem to get a tray icon.... is this how the scripts are intended or is something wrong?

i'd really prefer to have a tray icon :)

Devilspie does not create a tray icon for you. With the current Ubuntu version, there is a tray icon + you get a evolution entry in your window list. What devilspie does here, is to hide the window list entry - it does nothing with tray icons.

However, you're half way there: Install one of the tray icon thingys that support evolution and you got 1) a tray icon for evolution and 2) only the tray icon, but not the disturbing panel entry.

best
nZain

edit: I'm not sure about Suse - you'll have to find a tray icon tool on your own.

User4519
February 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Is this just removing it from the task bar, or does it disappear also when Alt+Tab'ing, using Present Windows, etc.? I'd like for it to just get the f*** out of my general desktop and stay in that tray completely until clicked :)

I'm on the Netbook edition, btw. Not sure if that makes any difference. I don't mind it being in the dock as the square icon thing, I just hate that it's always there when I Alt+Tab or present windows or workspaces.