PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One Store vs. Spotify Premium

Johnsie
May 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I'm a Spotify Premium subscriber.. For £9.99 a month I get access to millions of songs on whatever computer I use and also on my phone. There is an offline feature so I can listen to music when I am not able to get online. Spotify works on Ubuntu with Wine, Windows and Mac. I travel alot and have not had any problems using my Spotify account in the UK, USA and Central America.

How does Ubuntu One music store compare to this? Does it work out any cheaper. What are the pros and cons of the Ubuntu One music store?

Bölvağur
May 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
pros:
you get to own a copy of the song
it get's synced with Ubuntu one so you always got a copy even though your hd get's run over by a bus

cannot think of anything important to add to that, others probably will

larekare
May 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Very late reply, but this topic needs to be covered more...

I am also a Spotify Premium user and I like the service. But I am also a Ubuntu user and like that too.

Ubuntu One Mobile Music Streaming vs Spotify Premium

A big feature for me personally is the share playlist function in Spotify. Almost none of my friends use Ubuntu, but that doesn't mean I don't want to share music with them. Even though it is nice to own your own music, it is difficult to share playlists with locally stored songs (as far as I know the ISMN [International Standard Music Number] isn't really widespread). With streamed songs, the entire group of friends are listening to the exact same things.

However, what is pretty sweet with Ubuntu One Mobile Music streaming is that you can add songs that you rip or get from another source and stream them to your mobile (you can't with spotify, stream to your mobile I mean).

Pricewise you can just not buy anything from the Ubuntu Music Store and it will be a cheaper option to only use Ubuntu One Mobile Music Streaming, or you can buy for more $ in the Ubuntu Music Store and it will be more expensive (this also depends on how long you keep listening to the same tracks).

Conclusion

I think it is about even at the moment...I would like to support Ubuntu so I'm considering buying Ubuntu services rather than donating. To free up money for this I have to cancel other stuff. And I might as well try it out a little bit...I can always go back, right?