PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] strigi - how is it working properly?

udippel
May 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I have two machines, fresh install of kubuntu 10.04. On one, the strigi icon is always active in the systray, either indexing or idle. On the other one, whenever I go there, there is no icon. But at System Settings->Advanced->Desktop Search, the box 'Enable Strigi Desktop File indexer' is not ticked. So I tick it, 'Apply', and it starts running, shows in the systray, and does some 'indexing', and then it disappears from the systray. And when I go back to System Settings->Advanced->Desktop Search, the box 'Enable Strigi Desktop File indexer', the box is unticked yet again. I have gone through this a few times, including reboots, but on this machine, my activation (ticking the box) will be automatically reverted to unticking the box some minutes later.

How can I get a persistent setting for 'Enable Strigi Desktop File indexer', that does not deactivate itself?

Uwe

sanette
May 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
well, it happens to me too.

Strigi starts working, but sometimes stops and I have to reactivate in the system settings.

More problematic: it does not index all the files. I have it now running for several days (Kubuntu 10.04), but still when I use doplhin search bar for some pattern in "filenames", I get FAR LESS results than with using "locate" in e terminal.

(and locate is way faster, too !)