PDA

View Full Version : What's a good age to switch to Linux at?

thejakeman
May 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I'm 16 now and I'm a really good Windows user but on the 29th I tried to switch to 10.04. I've made it up to here but I hate not knowing how my computer works and am considering switching back to Windows. Should I try to stay with Ubuntu or go back 'till I know more about programming? I don't really mean "age", but level of knowledge about computers, if you know what I mean.

When did you guys switch to Linux?
Should I try and tough it out?
Or should I go back to Windows until I get a computer with nVidia or ATI? (I have Intel stuff right now and I've heard that Linux sucks with Intel)

Ubuntu is really really nice, convenient and efficient but I hate that I have no idea how to do anything and I can't use all of the popular "conformist" programs like the Office Suite and Windows games.

Mike.lifeguard
May 7th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Yes. You'll learn quickly if you commit to it, honestly. I never thought I'd be able to use the command line, but I became comfortable, even there, after about 6 months.

Or should I go back to Windows until I get a computer with nVidia or ATI? (I have Intel stuff right now and I've heard that Linux sucks with Intel)
Intel graphics sucked for Jaunty (when first started using Ubuntu) and Intrepid, but all those issues have been mostly resolved for Karmic, and are fully resolved in Lucid. You should have no problems whatsoever. On the plus side, Intel gives the open-source community specs and even some coding (yay, Keith Packard!!). They're generally pretty good to us. No comment on NVidia and ATI, heh

Ubuntu is really really nice, convenient and efficient but I hate that I have no idea how to do anything and I can't use all of the popular "conformist" programs like the Office Suite and Windows games.
You won't much like gaming on linux, I bet - but OpenOffice is almost totally interoperable with MS Office, and there are clients for MSN (etc) and most everything else you want to do. It is mostly a matter of finding out what they are so you can install them.

In short - Yes, it will be a bit uncomfortable at first, but the transition is easier than you think.

halitech
May 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
when you first sat down at a windows computer did you know how everything worked? You don't need to know anything about programming in order to use Linux and even if you did, how would using windows help you learn how to program when you don't need to do any programming in windows?

Personally, I switched when I was 34 and had been using windows since the days of Windows 3.1. Most of my friends considered me a power user and came to me to fix their issues. When I first changed over, I went cold turkey and forced myself to learn how linux worked but thats not for everyone.

You don't need to get a new computer with an Nvidia card, just upgrade the video card and keep everything else.

As far as knowing how to use the Office suite and windows games, use windows for games where they were designed to work. To learn Open Office, use it. I also go back to my opening statement, did you know how to use everything in windows when you first sat down at a windows computer?

ymra
May 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Dual boot! Keep window while you learn linux.

QIII
May 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM
How old were you when you started using Windows? What was your level of expertise then?

Old enough to sit at the desk and punch the keyboard -- old enough to start using Linux.

If you want to learn to program, that's fine. Has nothing to do with when you can start using Linux.

Jive Turkey
May 7th, 2010, 04:30 AM
You should probably keep both, if your goal is to learn about programming and computer related stuff you will make great leaps and bounds using linux.

If you are the type of user that just likes things to work (sort of) and don't mind restrictions, and fees, and DRM, and viruses, and being blocked from the inner workings of the OS by big stupid pictures of things, then maybe stick with windows, or mac.

I dual boot and I prefer to only use windows for the only 2 things that don't currently work on linux (online banking and games).

byStanderone
May 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
...making a choice is subjective, hence the need to know both sides of the coin...the 'key' in learning, is 'commitment'.

ubunterooster
May 7th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I had a 15 year old sister who can figure most stuff out. And she is not that advanced.

Ms_Angel_D
May 7th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I'm 16 now and I'm a really good Windows user but on the 29th I tried to switch to 10.04. I've made it up to here but I hate not knowing how my computer works and am considering switching back to Windows. Should I try to stay with Ubuntu or go back 'till I know more about programming? I don't really mean "age", but level of knowledge about computers, if you know what I mean.

The best thing you can do is remember that Rome was not built in a day. Patience and the willingness to learn will serve you best.

There is no right age, I mean it's just an operating system, I've seen people on these forums whose 2 year old children we're using Linux. You just have to be willing to forget most of what you learned on windows and try not to apply that logic to linux, as windows & linux are two totally different animals.

If your not comfortable with giving up windows then don't. There is nothing wrong with dual booting, I myself dual boot, for various reasons.

Lastly remember It's just an operating system and you should always use what works best for you.

mesmith
May 7th, 2010, 04:41 AM
The age of reason.

flyfishingphil
May 7th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I'm 62 and have been using Ubuntu for about a month. Looked at ti a couple years ago and was chased off by looking in the chat area and seeing everyone talking "puter". I hadn't played with any programming since the late 60's working on classified "stuff" in the army. It scared me to think about doing that to use a computer again.

I rechecked and started with Koala and am now using Lucid. I did mine dual boot but haven't been back to Windough$, except to find the files I wanted to drag over, since I started.

As another said the OpenOffice programs do everything you can do in MS, even save it into more formats than MS offers, and share with those other programs.

Everything in my computer has been done thru either Application > Software Center or thru System > Application > Synaptic Manager (both selection on top left of screen) so no problems. I really wonder about all of the problems I seen listed because the only real one I've had is trying to get an older Lexmark printer I use (at sporting goods shows and on the road) to work in Ubuntu. Lexmark didn't do any programming for the "open" format so it's a no use printer. Everything else, camera(s), phone, Canon scanner/printer, and all of the other stuff works fine.

Regarding games I have several places I visit on the web to play like Pogo. Works fine.

I just gave an older computer (about 7 years old) to my 12 year old grandson with Ubuntu 9.10 (Koala) in it, along with Open Office, Firefox and a printer. He's having a great time, doing all of his schoolwork, playing a game across the net with friends and has no problems with it.

Answer to your question when to start? As soon as you are ready to spend a little time learning how to "drive" a different system and stop spending so much money on programming.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

bumanie
May 7th, 2010, 04:50 AM
If you are prepared to learn a new way of doing things and are willing to do some reading, stick with linux, you will find your knowledge of computers is greatly enhanced. Linux is different to windows, which does not translate to 'harder' - one just has to prepared to learn a different way of doing things. As someone above said, when you started with windows, you would not have known how to use that, over the years you have learned how to use it, There is no reason why you cannot do the same with linux. Linux has many advantages re freedom to do what suits you best, freedom to change default programs, freedom from viruses and other nasties, freedom from DRM etc....You are young, learning at your age would be much easier than when you are older. Commit to linux for 6 months, read, learn and come on the forum here - by the time 6 months has passed, you will probably wonder why you considered staying with windows.
Keep windows for gaming or try wine (http://www.winehq.org/) - open office is more than ample for the average user and does save in MS formats if needed. I never use windows any more. I can do web pages, I can do photos, I can transfer digital video to hard drive, edit it and burn to dvd - lack of gaming is linux's largest issue, but as said, you can dual boot or try wine for games - many do work in wine.

thejakeman
May 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I started using Windows when I was 4 and I knew a bunch of jargon right off the bat, I typed 48 WPM in 2nd grade and new more about computers than the computer teacher at my elementary school, keyboard shortcuts and such.

And to halitech, I can't upgrade anything because I'm using a laptop :( I'd need a whole new motherboard.

tgalati4
May 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM
In the womb.

Press the headphones on the belly, play your ogg files, introduce Linus Torvalds and learn to pronounce Leee'nucks.

Hey, you figured out where the forums are. How to log in. How to post. That's 1/2 the battle.

Realistically, linux is designed for 17-year-olds, so you will have to wait a year.

thejakeman
May 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Realistically, linux is designed for 17-year-olds, so you will have to wait a year.

Thanks! That's the kind of answer I was looking for :) I'll probably stay with Linux for now.

prions
May 7th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I started when I was 16, and its been a little over a year now since I've been using linux. I was on and off at first, and since my laptop has only an 80g hard drive, I never found the space to dual boot for extended periods of time.

But, with a portable hard drive, I can keep windows and linux on my computer now, and since a year using linux I've learned a lot and learning something new every day. I've taken up programming, playing games less, and using my computer in a better way since then. :D

chappajar
May 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
In the womb.

Press the headphones on the belly, play your ogg files, introduce Linux Torvalds and learn to pronounce Leee'nucks.

Hey, you figured out where the forums are. How to log in. How to post. That's 1/2 the battle.

lol
Thanks! That's the kind of answer I was looking for :) I'll probably stay with Linux for now.

LOL!

FoxMcCloudwp
May 7th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Any age is a good time to switch to Linux :)

thejakeman
May 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what will help me learn the system faster?

dagrump
May 7th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Huh... 16??, well that woulda been 1974. Computers were the size of a house, & just stuff in Popular Science Magazine. I had a 1948 chevy pick-up & 1937 Nash w/ suicide doors. I guess times have changed.....
Use what ever OS you want, I dual boot because I never grew up, so I like like to play games.
At 16 I think chasing girls was the top of the list, second was hot rods. :):)

Spiritof76
May 7th, 2010, 05:44 AM
If one can learn to use Window, then Ubuntu should be a piece of cake!
While Linux may be more powerful it isn't more difficult.
Open office isn't just a second rate version of MS office it is better and more intuitive.

Your friends are apt to be envious when they see your system with the flying cube. and free soft ware that doesn't need cracked codez. oh, they will brag about their abilities to to crack down and debug a a virri and worms,

Vined Adobo
May 7th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I knew about computers from as long as I remember. I started studying the field in 1967.
I bought my first computer in 1976, a TRS 80, aka Trash 80. In 1983, I had to interface with a PDP 1150 connected an IMTS (Improved Mobile Telephone Service) mobile phone system. In 1985, I bought my first PC type computer. I liked MS DOS (a mini UNIX with lots of quirks.) Then along came windows. I adapted to that. Then came Windows 95 which disabled every other networking system available for DOS systems My LAN died. Relatively frequently since then, Microsoft releases software which disables software which previously worked for any market Microsoft wants to enter. Enter Windows 98: Microsoft wanted to enter the network interface card (NIC) (say DSL) market. Strangely, we had to scramble to patch every other manufacturer's software so networks would keep working. Microsoft quipped that it wasn't their fault that other software engineers couldn't write competent software.

A new day! Linus torvalds developed Linux sometime around 1991. I started using the RedHat version about 1996. I used both X and KDE, depending on my mood. In 2000, I bought a new computer and even though the sound card was recognized, it wouldn't work. At that time, since I was very tired of trying to make a user unfriendly operating system friendly, I quit using Linux altogether. Unfortunately, windows just kept getting worse.

When my new 2007 laptop got slower and slower and ssslllooooowwweerrr (no, there were no viri,) I'd had enough. I searched and found Ubuntu. 8.04 would not recognise my Atheros wireless card. 8.10 would not recognise my wireless card. I was bummed.

9.04, Success!! Everything worked! My wife liked it so much, she had me load Ubuntu on her laptop. I REMOVED ******* from my laptop. Now she has got a new a netbook which dual boots between W7 and Lucid, although she never boots W7. I run Lucid and NO windows. We also have two desktops which run Lucid and NO windows.

So, what's a good age to switch? I'm 60, my wife is 60. A very good age to switch is when you can no longer abide Windows.

Dave

shae
May 7th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I started using Linux when I was about your age. Now, 6 years later I am a computer science student and I am really glad I did what I did with Linux. It is especially fun because my CS department has us develop through SSH into a RedHat server. While the other students have to develop their homework in the command line through putty, I get to use my computer :lolflag:

Glenn nl
May 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I switched when i was 13, iŽm still 13 but turning 14 in 2 weeks. :)

lemuriaX
May 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Check out this pocket guide:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

and

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Good age to switch? Whatever age that question occurs to you...so now is the time. Carpe diem! :)

And as others have said, why not dual boot for a while and see how that goes?

Sef
May 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM
(I have Intel stuff right now and I've heard that Linux sucks with Intel)

For me, Linux works great on my Intel chip. There is the Intel 845 chip that is problematic, however.

gnomeuser
May 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I would generally encourage using Linux from the time you can crawl to the keyboard. Linux has tons of great educational games for children and good options for damage control for parents.

As for switching, I personally did so around 17 but that is nearly 12 years ago now and back then it certainly wasn't as easy as it is now to try Linux (boy am I getting old). If you are on Windows and you are not gaming, and if Linux seems attractive I say go for it. It's perfectly safe if run from a cheap USB stick or even as a second OS on your machine.

There is no one right age to switch and trying Linux is now so easy it is a matter of booting a CD to see it in action. If it feels right then go for a dual boot type install. Give it a week of using nothing but Linux this way and see what problems you have. If they seem to cumbersome and nobody can help you or explain why things don't work perhaps you should stay in your comfort zone a bit longer.

If you are a heavy PC gamer, expect to be booting into Windows very often, perhaps so much so that Linux isn't worth it. While Linux has been making great progress as a gaming platform recently and certainly is attractive for the purpose, it just isn't at a place where your games will work or that the selection of games is a wide and as professional as seen on Windows.

NCLI
May 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM

The Ubuntu Manual (http://ubuntumanual.org/)

Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)

Linux Commandline for Newbs (http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html)

I'm eighteen now, and I first tried using Linux at 14. I started out with Fedora, deleted my Windows partition by accident. After discovering this, and finding out the neither sound, 3D, or Windows games worked, I promptly reinstalled XP.

A year later, after reading a few tutorials, I tried again, this time with Ubuntu Edgy Eft. I was successful this time, and after finding this forum a few months later, I was comfortable using Linux by the time I was 16 :)

ssj6akshat
May 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I switched at 12 I am now 13 and will be turning 14 at next month.

Even my 5 year old sister(that is turning 6 next month same day!) thinks that Ubuntu is easier than windows :lolflag:

Khakilang
May 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I switch to Linux when I was 48. Wait that was last year and my daughter was 15. We both love Linux although I advice my daughter to learn Window as well for her future.

And that was after 20 years of DOS to Windows. I am surprise that swithching to Linux was so easy.

murderslastcrow
May 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
My Grandma loves Linux, and technologically, she's an infant. Also, my little nieces love playing with Ubuntu. It's not as rough as you seem to take it. It's just not Windows.

QIII
May 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM
... TRS 80, aka Trash 80. ...

Ah, the memories!

halitech
May 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I started using Windows when I was 4 and I knew a bunch of jargon right off the bat, I typed 48 WPM in 2nd grade and new more about computers than the computer teacher at my elementary school, keyboard shortcuts and such.

And to halitech, I can't upgrade anything because I'm using a laptop :( I'd need a whole new motherboard.

by the sounds of it, you are pretty smart and able to pick things up easily. In that case, stick with learning Linux.

You neglected to say you were on a laptop ;) Try the newest version and see how it works. Search the forums and see if it has anything about your specific hardware that may help it run better. The work can be harder at times but the rewards are worth it.

swoll1980
May 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Why switch? My 7 year old son has been using Linux since he was 5. The only experience he has with Windows is at school. This is just more proof that anyone can use Linux.

ukripper
May 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
3 years old

sydbat
May 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM
My dad switched at 80. That was 3 years ago. Only problem he had was not getting Google Earth to run properly, until I installed a new video card for him.

giocarra
May 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I'm seventyfive years old and I switched on to Linux-Ubuntu more or less five years ago.
I use it with satisfaction and I switched off Windows completely two years ago.

The right age to switch on Linux is " when you want it "

regards
giocarra

boublik
May 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
At the age when you can understand that PC doesn't mean bloody Windows it means personal computer. "Take it and go." (c) Russell Peters

nikefalcon
May 8th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Well, one thing is sure; if you stay with windows youŽll never learn how your OS works.
I switched to Ubuntu out of utter despair around 8 monts ago, i am just 15 yrs. old.
I had never used the command line before switching to Ubuntu, but now I am pretty comfortable with it. (some commands are even funny!:lolflag:)
and you donŽt need to know programming to use ubuntu, even an infant could use it quite easily.
The best thing about Linux is that everything is customizable. There are so many options to choose from, that I sometimes get confused and have to ask for help or choose on a whim!
Age is no bar to use Linux, and ubuntu is very user friendly, and if you ever get stuck ubuntuforums will always be there to help you out!
Good luck!

kenodlum
May 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I first came face to face with linux when I was 62 and it's great. Taking longer to learn these days but patience will win in the end.
At 16 you will be flying in a few months.