PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cant get Open Office to work in Lucid

applehead
May 7th, 2010, 01:57 AM
During upgrade to Lucid I got lots of errors about Open office.
Now I've upgraded, I have no Open office. The update manager says I have a broken package. When I try to remove the broken package in synaptic, I get an error message with the following details

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-common_1%3a3.2.0-7ubuntu4_all.deb: short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/share/template/en-US/layout/lyt-numdark.otp')
anyone know what this means?

Also, all of my documents have disappeared!
I also had a message about grabbing my mouse failed then a message saying some one may be eves dropping on me... Have I been hacked???

lisati
May 7th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I also had a message about grabbing my mouse failed then a message saying some one may be eves dropping on me... Have I been hacked???

I've seen this before. According to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=933848) (which refers to an earlier relase of Ubuntu), it's probably nothing to worry about.

As for your disappearing documents, did you do a fresh install or did you use the Upadte manager to upgrade?

applehead
May 7th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I was using the update manager. My docs just vanished! I'm not imagining it because I was left with shortcuts pointing to nothing. I do have backups though.
I couldn't fix the open office problem and because of the security scare, I have now done a fresh install with new passwords. office works fine so I suppose that's solved.

lisati
May 7th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I was using the update manager. My docs just vanished! I'm not imagining it because I was left with shortcuts pointing to nothing. I do have backups though.
I couldn't fix the open office problem and because of the security scare, I have now done a fresh install with new passwords. office works fine so I suppose that's solved.

Good to hear that you got things working, even though "missing" documents can be a pain in the proverbial. Using "update manager" should preserve your documents folders....