PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 won't install

brauer.erik
May 7th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu 10.04 64 bit on a toshiba satellite L505 that has windows 7 64 bit. When I try to boot from the cd I burned I get that the file /ubuntu/winnt/wubildr.mbr is not available and to repair with the windows cd. But when I checked the command prompt in windows 7, it is there. I did a repair twice and it still won't boot completely. One time for loading the try ubuntu before installing, it stopped at child_objects and sat there for 10 minutes. I also did try the 32 bit on a 64 bit machine but still nothing. Any suggestions? I am stumped here. I have loaded previous versions of ubuntu for relatives with no problem.

Thanks

Erik

bbmadzky
June 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
You can try the windows installer, the wubi.exe. It is the most convenient way of dual-booting windows 7 and Ubuntu into a single unit using Windows 7. Install that one and it will download the specific Ubuntu you try to install, it will reboot your system. Choose the Ubuntu in the bootloader as it reboots and then it will finish the Ubuntu setup you've started in the Windows 7 environment.

I am using a Toshiba L505, installed with Windows 7 Ultimate, having an Intel Core 2 Duo and 3GB Ram.

millermayhem
June 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have the same flipping laptop, wubi did not work for me. Gosh, I could not install with a blank formatted HDD. I have to use Windows for work, but it feels like paying for sex.