PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Swapping Partitions Around

MISIIM
May 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM
After installing 10.04 I realized that I made a mistake while installing. I accidentally selected the wrong partition for my system partition. This means I ended up with a 40GB partition for /home. At this point I have < 1GB left and would appreciate any ideas. I would perfer not to have to reinstall.

ronparent
May 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Do you have room to resize a partition?

MISIIM
May 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM
No, it is followed by my system partition.

ronparent
May 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Do you have room to resize any partition anywhere? If so you could use gparted from a live CD to copy your current 10.94 partition to an unallocated space on any drive large enough to expand it! When the copy is verified the old one can be deleted. Since grub finds the target by uuid it matters litle where it is located. You will probably have to resetup grub so grub itself is found on boot.

ronparent
May 7th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Do you have room to resize any partition anywhere? If so you could use gparted from a live CD to copy your current 10.94 partition to an unallocated space on any drive large enough to expand it! When the copy is verified the old one can be deleted. Since grub finds the target by uuid it matters litle where it is located. You will probably have to resetup grub so grub itself is found on boot.

ronparent
May 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM

ronparent
May 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM

ronparent
May 7th, 2010, 03:53 AM

MISIIM
May 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Well, I don't really have any unallocated space. I'll just reinstall some time soon.

dino99
May 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14