PDA

View Full Version : Grub and upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7

RealG187
May 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I have Ubuntu 9.04 and Vista as a dualboot and am finally getting around to upgrading to Windows 7.

I imagine after I install Windows 7 I won't be able to boot into Ubuntu. I know that I can boot a Live CD and I think I would use some grub commands to put it back (I have done this with reinstalling XP and Vista, but this time I am installing a different Windows).

Will I still be able to access Windows 7 upon reinstalling Grub? Will my existing options for Vista work if I install it on the same partition? (I would then have to change "Windows Vista" to "Windows 7" to get updated...)

I am installing Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit and currently have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit (I don't know why they gave me a 32 Bit OS when my PC has a 64 But CPU*)

* I am sure I have a 64 Bit PC because it even says on the box something along the lines of "Your PC has a 64 Bit CPU, but you have a 32 Bit OS. 'Purchase' a 64 Bit OS to fully utilize the CPU"

I put purchase in quotation marks because you don't have to necessarily purchase a 64 Bit OS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=502754).

RealG187
May 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Bump please...

RealG187
May 21st, 2010, 04:13 AM
Bump