PDA

View Full Version : Launched wine from a server.

themarker0
May 7th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Possible? I'm considering trying to get my school to convert to either Panologic boxes (Which means windows) or linutop boxes. If i use Linutop i know i can block sites using firefox etc, just trying to present it completely awesomely :)

themarker0
May 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Bump?

Shakz
May 7th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Maybe I am not understanding....wouldnt you just need to create a network drive with wine on it then automount the samba drive and create a symlink on the users PC to .wine which would actually point to the wine install on the server?
Should all be transparent to the user.

lykwydchykyn
May 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
What does "Launch wine from a Server" mean? What are you trying to accomplish?

themarker0
May 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
What i want to do is use linutops, and have all the software needed launch from a server. I've seen most done already, wine though, i've never seen or heard being launched from a server.

lykwydchykyn
May 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
What i want to do is use linutops, and have all the software needed launch from a server. I've seen most done already, wine though, i've never seen or heard being launched from a server.

You'll forgive my ignorance, but the linutop setup is something like LTSP, where the clients actually log in to a remote session on the server?

Or is this something like forwarding X11 over ssh? Or sharing /usr via NFS?

In any case, I can't see that wine would behave differently than any other program. The biggest difference with wine is that by default each user has a unique ~/.wine directory, so either program installs may have to be managed per-user, or you'll have to experiment with a shared wine directory (which may be problematic when you have multiple users).

themarker0
May 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
You'll forgive my ignorance, but the linutop setup is something like LTSP, where the clients actually log in to a remote session on the server?

Or is this something like forwarding X11 over ssh? Or sharing /usr via NFS?

In any case, I can't see that wine would behave differently than any other program. The biggest difference with wine is that by default each user has a unique ~/.wine directory, so either program installs may have to be managed per-user, or you'll have to experiment with a shared wine directory (which may be problematic when you have multiple users).

I know i'd have to setup each user, i figure if you can get it working once, its easier past that.