PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think Linux is hard to use?

Legendary_Bibo
May 7th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm a total n00b to the linux scene, I had a dual boot install of 9.10 a couple of weeks before 10.04 while Vista was on it's last leg. When Vista killed itself I decided to do the full switch to Ubuntu and I don't miss Vista one bit.
The first time I tried linux was on my PS3 which unfortunately went bye-bye due to the questionable update that removed it. I was one of those ignorant "*******" users who feared linux because I thought it looked like the old command line type of computers. Those went away when I tried Yellow Dog Linux. I mostly had my frustrations with Linux on Yellow Dog on my PS3 when I was trying to set up a wireless connection (which is easily done on Ubuntu WTH?!), and I just couldn't get used to it...mostly because it was on a 46 inch TV and I was sitting far away.
So my first real experience was with Ubuntu 9.10 and thought it was hideous, but I lived with it for the first week because it was fast. Now I'm not a complete ruhtard when it comes to computers, but eventually I started stumbling on how customizable everything was. I was frustrated at first at installing software especially from the synaptic package manager, and then there was the learning of the terminal. I guess my problem was that most new users have is that they try to learn so much in so little time.
However, I've come to realize how robust the terminal is (and customizable as well :p, I've got a sweet Fallout 3 themed terminal) and I'm learning simple commands day by day. It's a learning experience, not a difficult one, but a gradual one. The ones I know are 'tops' and 'sensors' because I use them quite a bit and they're helpful. My favorite thing is to show off the neat things I can do to the people at school. I pass around the install disc for 10.04 and being college students, the integration with facebook is definitely a +1. Sometimes I get a little dismayed by people who've never even heard of Linux (I at least heard of it, just my preconceptions were a little mixed). The worst was when someone thought I had Windows 7, which I explained to them was actually Ubuntu, and they thought that was another version of Windows. :shock:

:|
*sigh*...I went with that and he had me install a dual boot for him, and set up the compiz stuff which now that I know my way around more I can do in like five minutes. It's waaaayyy easier then Windows to me honestly. So why do people think it's so hard to use?

karvec
May 7th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Because there's no start menu; because they've heard the words "command line" and in their mind they think "OH MY GOD, I HAVE TO TYPE?!?!" Because it's not windows or Mac, it's something they've never experienced before, and it's change. People don't like change. Keep passing those CDs out though! I've installed Ubuntu on a few buddy's computers when they've thought they were unusable, and all I hear is thanks!

madjr
May 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM
because they never used it

yesterday my cousin came to my house and started using the computer

he said he was lost

i gave him a quick tour and 10 mins later he was like a pro

it's all about exposure and mindshare

the easiest experience is to buy it preinstalled like you do with mac or windows
in a place like system76 or zareason
http://www.system76.com/
http://zareason.com/

people are more open to change now (different OS) and even willing to pay for it, just like they're doing with smartphones and well media tablets like the ipad and the upcoming eeePad and webOS-Tablet

myddewji13
May 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
People learn computers differently. For many they only care that they know where to click to get whatever they want done. (i.e. people who have to use Microsoft Office and can't use other office suites).

-------
Everything below this line may have nothing to do with the topic...but its still funny :D

Also: Typical users:
http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/
(the sales dude)

linuxman94
May 7th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Well I think most people have bad experiences with Linux since they installed it without any prior knowledge. They might think Linux is just like windows, or that once they install it, they will be good to go. But inevitably, they will have problems after they install and then they will go to the forums and get mad because something isn't working. Then the kind people at the forums will tell them, "Remember, Linux is NOT like Windows," and then they will get mad because they think that it should at least be easier to configure and fix without using the command line.

Well that's my 2 cents. :popcorn:

QIII
May 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
For the same reason English speakers think learning German is hard: It's not the same and they expect it to be.

In the case of German and Linux, once that frame of mind is deconstructed the fun begins.

ubudog
May 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Well, some linux distro's used to be hard to use, but by now they are mostly all very user friendly. Especially Ubuntu. :p

JK3mp
May 7th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Yep, pretty much just change. And the lack of compatability with there current windows run software. (MS Office, Internet Explorere etc.)

A_M_S
May 7th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Well, some linux distro's used to be hard to use, but by now they are mostly all very user friendly. Especially Ubuntu. :p

I agree with you. My first experience with linux (before ubuntu ) was a little hard.

With Ubuntu linux became much more easier to newbies.

ibuclaw
May 7th, 2010, 12:56 AM
However, I've come to realize how robust the terminal is (and customizable as well :p, I've got a sweet Fallout 3 themed terminal) and I'm learning simple commands day by day. It's a learning experience, not a difficult one, but a gradual one. The ones I know are 'tops' and 'sensors' because I use them quite a bit and they're helpful.

If you like to be able to get open monitors of your system, you should look-up conky. ;)

This is a jump in the deep end, but when you have some time, have a look here at just what it is capable of doing.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865

Regards
Iain

madjr
May 7th, 2010, 01:57 AM
For the same reason English speakers think learning German is hard: It's not the same and they expect it to be.

In the case of German and Linux, once that frame of mind is deconstructed the fun begins.

exactly

_0R10N
May 7th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Linux is not hard at all!. It's more complex and flexible, all at the same time. With Linux you can set things up the way you want them to be. So this requires sometimes a knowledge above the average. In the other hand, OSs like Windows can be much simpler, but you can't do a lot of things with them, that you can do with Linux.

I think that those few lines summarize pretty much the vision I have about the subject. I can get really annoying when speaking of Linux, so I've tried to keep my comment as short as possible!

Kind regards!

Miljet
May 7th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Poeple don't realize that they have spent years learning Windows, but expect to understand Linux immediately.

Raithe
May 7th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I read a great quote last night. “Windows spends its entire life trying to stop you from doing the things Linux urges you to do”.
I had a lightbulb moment over my coffee and cigarettes this morning.
My household consists of my wife, my two and three year old children and myself. Three users that cover the whole spectrum of “computer literacy”. I really need user accounts to protect my workspace, but I’ve seen user accounts destroy windows installations in the past.
Things may have improved since, and probably have, but I was still wary. It dawned on me that this is what Linux LIVES for and a big smile cracked on my lips.

You take for granted the ability to instantly understand the ins and outs of things like file structure and extensions. You have to learn to walk again.
How do I burn a disc? How do I uncompress this file? How do I even recognize a compressed file.

Problem solving is a pain for some people. Research is a pain for some people. These skills are essential. Spelling helps too.

The next task I’ve set myself as a new user is to research and full understand the directory trees. I have an orderly “Windows” filing system, as do most people. You can generally guess where certain components and documents are going to be. I don’t even know what /etc stands for!

In a nutshell, people can’t “go backwards” in their heads and it is frustrating. In terms relative to Linux, they don’t understand the power of the tool they have in their hands relative to what they know.
I thought I was an advanced computer user, but I’ve realized that I am merely an advanced Windows user. I’m not a microsoft hater in any way shape or form. To be honest, I’ve never given microsoft a cent.
But now I want to learn to talk to the machines themselves. I feel as if Ubuntu is infinitely powerful and I’m ready to learn!

Teach me.

ubudog
May 7th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I started Linux when I was very young, 8 years old. In two years, I had set up my own server and had a website. It was very easy if you just put in the work and learned how to do it.

mcooke1
May 7th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I think it maybe because they do not realize how much support documentation is available and how by using search engines and if required posting here can make the transition from Windows quite simple. I often wonder why people can not keep their Windows installations running properly something else that is not difficult. (for me anyway).

MarcusW
May 7th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I'd love to see a screenshot of your fallout terminal. :)

mastablasta
May 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM
It used to be very strange to me back then when i first tried it (red hat). Not to mention that most programmes didn't have open source alternative, so i kept wondering why is it actually good for.

Ubuntu today on the other hand with plenty programmes readilly availabel is easy to use. I find the desktop very intuitive and most of the times if i need to change a setting or somehting i know where to find it.

I think the one and only thing where experience can be ruined is with hardware install. so i support the idea that people should try preloaded linux systems. unfortunatelly not many vendors sell such systems here.

Also not being able to play games are putting me off to have linux on my computer. I instaleld it on another one and managed to get most things to work. except for the tv tuner card (which should be compatible and is recognised by ubuntu yet it doesn't work). Posted this a while ago, had the topic moved on my request to better suiting category yet no one helped me yet. so no it's not enough to post here and i can't find any documentation on why it doesn't work or how to make it work (with latest linux version) because most documentation mentions how it just works. well not for me. so there, so much for linux support. even tried the IRC channel and found out how for other people it works (except for the remote contorl i believe)...

i don't find it hard to use. i find it hard to get things working since most things don't have linux drivers packed with them.

Old *ix Geek
May 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I think there are many misconceptions about Linux. Well, that plus a lot of misinformation!

My favorite story right now has to do with my mother, who is over 80. She had never used anything but window$ until early this year when she needed a new computer. I ordered an HP and told her I was going to "wipe the drive and install Linux on it." She knew nothing about Linux except that it's something her daughter uses on all her computers, plus she sees my Linux Journal magazines lying around the house.

The computer arrived, I wiped ******* off of it, installed Kubuntu 9.10 plus a lot of apps (games, browsers, office suites, etc.), added some eye candy, and said "here you go!"

She sat down, looked around a bit, and was off and running. She needed NO instruction. There's simply nothing earth-shattering about selecting the menu and then choosing whatever app she wants to run! She's on the computer for hours every day--much longer than she ever was with her previous M$ computers--and couldn't be happier.

Ask HER if Linux is "hard to use" and she'd look at you like you're crazy. :lolflag:

ibuclaw
May 7th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I think it maybe because they do not realize how much support documentation is available and how by using search engines and if required posting here can make the transition from Windows quite simple. I often wonder why people can not keep their Windows installations running properly something else that is not difficult. (for me anyway).
There is actually an interesting article about that entitled 'Where's the Summer of Documentation? (http://ostatic.com/blog/wheres-the-summer-of-documentation)'

My reply to it was simply "Laid off with all the other tech writers." ;)

Wee_Guy
May 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Why do people think Linux is hard to use?Because it is. Or, to be more correct, it's hard to set it up to be able to use it.

Windows, for example, is usually fully functional after running the installer. Sometimes you need to install a driver, but they are usually easily available from the manufacturers website.
Ubuntu, on the other hand, isn't always like that. Sometimes it installs more easily than windows, but in my expirience it also often doesn't work properly. If you need a driver you have to trawl through pages of Google results and eventually try and force it onto your system, maybe via the terminal and editing some scary system files. Some things just refuse to work, and you can try every single solution suggested and get nowhere with it. And once you've got everything running smoothly, you upgrade your system and something else is broken.
Once it's all running, yes, it's easy to use. But don't install and updates or new hardware unless you're prepared to spend time figuring out why it never works properly.

floydsp
May 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Well for me (77) been using Window a long time and have tried Linux
several times like Red Hat was the first one.

This time I started trying to use Kubuntu & Ubuntu and have keep
them on my system along with Windows 7. Triple Booting:lolflag:

I stopped using Kubuntu as can not keep my settings for the monitor
after boot.

Still not able to find program files nor install anything unless its
in the repos.

So for me its hard but still trying
floydsp

Juan Largo
May 7th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Why do people think Linux is hard to use?

It's not hard to use Linux once it's set up, but you need to upgrade the OS on a regular basis. Most Windows users seldom or never reinstall the OS over the life of their computers, and the thought of doing that terrifies them.

Old *ix Geek
May 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
It's not hard to use Linux once it's set up, but you need to upgrade the OS on a regular basis. Most Windows users seldom or never reinstall the OS over the life of their computers, and the thought of doing that terrifies them.Isn't that funny--it's been the exact OPPOSITE in my experience! I have yet to meet a ******* user who hasn't done the "oh, great, it's time to reinstall...AGAIN..." moan. Why all the reinstalling? Because--about every 6 months or so--the system becomes so unstable (due to the inherently poor, and bloated, design of the so-called OS), and so bogged down with crap (viruses, spyware, etc.), it's basically unusable. They've been told by M$ folks in the know, and/or fellow window$ users, that the "solution" is to "REINSTALL!" And so they do. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I've personally known Linux users--including myself!--who've skipped several versions on certain computers and lived quite happily despite failing to upgrade on a regular basis.

Ginsu543
May 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
To piggy-back off what Old *ix Geek said, when I used Windows primarily I reinstalled because I *had* to. And since the actual process of reinstalling was such a bear (install the OS, run Windows Update, install mobo drivers, install sound card drivers, install video drivers, install printer drivers, install network drivers, install wireless drivers, install bluetooth drivers, install mouse drivers, install antivirus and anti-spyware, install disk partitioning and defrag utilities, and then all my applications, all the while rebooting after each step of the install) that I dreaded having to do it.

With Ubuntu Linux, I reinstall because I *want* to, because I want to try out the newest improvements and enhancements in the latest release. But I could have happily stayed with 9.04 (like the computer I use in my small business) or even 9.10 (both my portable and file server netbooks). Even on my main rig, I dual-boot 10.04 and 9.10. Installing is mostly a breeze because the OS finds everything for me and installs whatever it needs. Even reinstalling my applications is easier since I have a separate /home partition so all my user settings are maintained (so I don't have to go back and reconfigure everything to my liking). I do understand that when something doesn't work off the bat, it can be frustrating trying to find solutions. But just as it would be inaccurate to say that something always doesn't work with Linux (with my 9.04 install everything worked perfectly from the get-go), it would be inaccurate to say that everything always works in Windows after installing. I've had my share of things not working right after installing certain drivers or what not. But I can speak from experience that I would much rather not have something go right in Linux and have the Linux community to help me figure it out than to have something go wrong in Windows and have to try to get through Microsoft technical support or the technical support from any other third-party company.

I think the key is to be smart and wise. Be smart enough to invest in hardware that is Linux-friendly. That's why I bought the Dell Mini 9/Vostro A90 because they were (at the time anyway) the most Linux-compatible netbooks available. And I haven't been disappointed. I saved myself a lot of frustration by doing that. I just recently built my current Core i7 920 rig and did my best to get components that were Linux-friendly. And as a result, I have not had the same kinds of issues I often see posted here, like Pulseaudio problems or problems with Compiz.

And then be wise. Wise enough to know that life is meant to be spent learning, and sometimes the most meaningful lessons are learned through working through some adversity. Wise enough to be patient, open, understanding. Wise enough not to buy into stereotypes. Wise enough, even, to know that maybe for some Linux is not for them, and it's okay.

I've often found that my attitude determines the outcome. If I focus on the fact that something is hard, then it certainly doesn't get easier. But if I'm willing to embrace the challenge, even the hard things become enjoyable. Is Linux hard to use? Perhaps... perhaps not. It all depends, I believe, in what you make of it.

julianb
May 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I'm a total n00b to the linux scene, I had a dual boot install of 9.10 a couple of weeks before 10.04 while Vista was on it's last leg. When Vista killed itself I decided to do the full switch to Ubuntu and I don't miss Vista one bit.

If you want to understand why not everyone prefers Ubuntu, don't compare it to Vista. Compare it to Windows 7 (which is genuinely better than XP, while vista was not). And compare it to OSX.

Reading posts on these forums, I think that Ubuntu's biggest biggest problem is hardware compatibility. Some people put it on their machine and it just doesn't work, and it's mostly a matter of hardware drivers.

armandh
May 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ubuntu is easy to install and use if the hardware is compatable.

now I only wish for a native quick books to dump win for good

with a 15 year history of QB stuff don't suggest alternatives
you might as well be suggesting MSmoney

lancest
May 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
There is a massive industry (including MS and it's many partners) with the intent of controlling what you think computing actually is in such areas as software, books, training, OEM's, tech services etc.

So in their efforts to mind control you hear statements like "We think people prefer Windows".

And from the public you get peer style pressure such as: "Why don't you just use Windows?".

Part of the implication is that Windows is easier and better supported.

IMHO it's hard for many people to get past that and trust Linux when the whole massive Windows computing industry is contrary to individual thinking.

That said I'm seeing alot more coming to Ubuntu especially for better security. Linux at 20% would be enough for me. :)

QIII
May 12th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Bah. I hate to come back to this thread since it's so old, but I have to.

"You can't find hardware drivers for Ubuntu. Hardware is a pain. Some of it just doesn't work."

I keep saying the following until I am blue in the face: Microsoft does not "support" hardware and it does not "create" drivers.

OEMs write drivers for their hardware. The money is in Microsoft platforms. The OEMs bow and scrape before the altar of Redmond to make sure that their drivers get the blessing of the Lords of Redmond. (If you doubt that I know what I am talking about, please see my profile and know that I am an MCSD -- I prostrated myself before the altar, too. Why? Because I wanted Microsoft's blessing on my software. Because I want to make lots of money. The big house on a big lot, the new cars, the Harley, the vacations ...)

If anyone has a beef with hardware drivers not being available for Linux, your beef is with the OEMs, not Linux. The OEMs snub Linux and don't create drivers because ... wait for it ... there's no money in it. They are trying to sell their products to 98% of the market.

Actually, that's good business.

So stop whining about drivers. That has nothing whatsoever to do with Linux.

The fact is that the Linux community makes it work IN SPITE of the handicap.

Linuxforall
May 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Cause people come with Windows mentality and expect it to be an exact clone. Otherwise its the easiest to use. The biggest understatement here is that Windows is fully functional after install, what about Codecs, latest drivers, chipset drivers, video drivers, audio drivers? CD burner, everything has to be sought after and thats why sites like Filehippo, Major Geeks and Betanews are so popular. Also even basic word processing apps, spell check etc. have to be installed, nothing is included in that huge Windows DVD based installer. Compare that to Ubuntu or other Linux distro, everything but the kitchen sink is included in the repos, most required programs are installed by default and whats not there, a simple software center or synaptic solves it, need more, there is Medibuntu and PPA which opens the world to many possibilities, even hardware drivers are there to be installed if needed. Best part is when programs get installed via the developer's PPA, they also get installed with latest release, be it Google Chrome, Opera, Transmission, Pidgin, Banshee and more.

As for drivers, I have high end Yamaha sound card that was abandoned by Yamaha and Windows way back when x64 XP was introduced, guess who saved the day, its good old Linux and its built right into the Kernel, no need to look for other sources.

As for codecs, if one doesn't wish to install them after install, one can always go for distros like MINT which comes preloaded with all. In case of Windows, there are codec packs that need to be installed or else many of the popular audio video formats just won't work. Also Windows needs a third party viewer for quality picture viewing, examples like XnView, Fastone, Irfanview means that one has to resort to these to get a decent viewer, thankfully most of them are free for now. Same goes for a quality CD burner, some of the good ones like ImgBurn are still free thankfully but Nero isn't and thats a much sought after CD burning program in Windows.

What one needs is a better more open attitude otherwise its better to stick to Windows.

Shazzam6999
May 12th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Because it's different.

On that note though, my grandma is completely computer illiterate, likely could not tell you anything about Linux; yet, she uses Puppy Linux on her laptop everyday and just doesn't know it (because I didn't tell her). The transition is just the scariest part.

Linuxforall
May 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Because it's different.

On that note though, my grandma is completely computer illiterate, likely could not tell you anything about Linux; yet, she uses Puppy Linux on her laptop everyday and just doesn't know it (because I didn't tell her). The transition is just the scariest part.

All the senior citizens in my neighborhood are on LTS Ubuntu via a volunteer initiative and guess what, I and my volunteers get blessings and thanks on daily basis, they wouldn't have anything else on their PC, so much for a difficult OS ;)

NJC
May 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Because basic things like Skype doesn't work, or printers .. or an upgrade wipes out a Win bootloader. Those can be killers, decimating all of the good that exists elsewhere within the software.

doorknob60
May 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Because when the average person thinks of "Linux," images of this sort pop into their head:
http://www.lucidtips.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/apt-get.jpg

Or especially this one (too big to embed)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Linux_kernel_panic-v2.jpg
etc...you get the point.

Linuxforall
May 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Skype works fine here, in fact unlike my Win7 where cam drops frequently in latest Skype, the cam is totally stable here, as for pritners, yes only Canon is the hitch and thats because of Canon's nasty attitude toward open source. HP works right out of the box, MFD, Inkjet, Laserjet, Photosmart, you name it, also most Epson and Lexmark models work out of the box as well.

Lightstar
May 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
yeah my voice on skype works decently.

My cam never works, on anything in linux, cheese, skype, aMSN, etc :(

I have to switch to windows to use webcam chat. It's sad.

Linuxforall
May 12th, 2010, 06:50 AM
yeah my voice on skype works decently.

My cam never works, on anything in linux, cheese, skype, aMSN, etc :(

I have to switch to windows to use webcam chat. It's sad.

Have you tried the ld_preload command? Are you on x64 or x32 Karmic? Is your camera detected in dmesg?

QIII
May 13th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Because basic things like Skype doesn't work,

Works fine for me. But Skype is not written well for Linux. Talk to the people who wrote it.

or printers ..

Talk to the OEMs who don't write Linux drivers for their printers.

or an upgrade wipes out a Win bootloader.

Has never happened to me.

Those can be killers, decimating all of the good that exists elsewhere within the software.

If they were the rule rather than the exception, perhaps. What is the percentage of users for whom these problems arise?

3rdalbum
May 13th, 2010, 04:11 AM
If you want to understand why not everyone prefers Ubuntu, don't compare it to Vista. Compare it to Windows 7 (which is genuinely better than XP, while vista was not).

If you have a reasonable desktop computer, Vista is pretty good - quite fast, with better hardware support than XP. For laptops it's terribly slow.

Jpenguin
May 13th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Skype works fine here, in fact unlike my Win7 where cam drops frequently in latest Skype, the cam is totally stable here, as for pritners, yes only Canon is the hitch and thats because of Canon's nasty attitude toward open source. HP works right out of the box, MFD, Inkjet, Laserjet, Photosmart, you name it, also most Epson and Lexmark models work out of the box as well.
canon does provide some linux drivers, but not on their US site- see http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/

irish_latte
May 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Because new users are not use to actually having to do manual work on their computer and expect an easy download, etc. And most people are so use to Microsoft and the Windows OS that they can't fathom using something "not safe" according to Microsoft/Apple.

Linuxforall
May 13th, 2010, 05:36 AM
canon does provide some linux drivers, but not on their US site- see http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/

Canon's offerings are feeble compared to HP or even Epson and Lexmark, I had to throw away a brand new IP6210D for lack of drivers.

Lightstar
May 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Have you tried the ld_preload command? Are you on x64 or x32 Karmic? Is your camera detected in dmesg?

yeah cam is detected, but it says:

[ 13.276332] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Monitor Webcam (SP2208WFP) (05a9:2643)
[ 13.279635] uvcvideo: UVC non compliance - GET_DEF(PROBE) not supported. Enabling workaround.
[ 13.279892] uvcvideo: Failed to query (129) UVC probe control : -32 (exp. 26).
[ 13.279893] uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-5).
[ 13.279922] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
[ 13.279924] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
[ 13.411774] alloc irq_desc for 22 on node -1
[ 13.411777] alloc kstat_irqs on node -1
etc etc

I have no idea about ld_preload, I'll look it up

UPDATE:
all fixed, by compiling v4l-dvb myself, replacing the uvcvideo.ko
should have done this earlier, now works with cheese, hopefully with skype and other things too.

capnfabs
May 21st, 2010, 04:32 AM
Just my two cents, but:

- expectations play a huge part in this. In my experience, people's largest issue is with OpenOffice, simply because they've tried Microsoft Office and are used to the way it does things. Furthermore, Office 2007 is incredibly intuitive, and to many, it seems like a step backward to transition to a more traditional UI.

- as a few people have mentioned, linux is harder to set up and maintain (not use), but only if you make it so. Ubuntu, on one hand, is fairly easy to set up. Arch Linux, on the other hand, is a bit more difficult, especially if you're not using gnome or kde.

- Windows systems are only horrible and bloated if you don't know how to maintain them. The Windows architecture is, in my opinion, more conducive to bloat due to the lack of an integrated update system for programs, but aside from that, it's quite good. I've got Windows 7 running incredibly well on my desktop and laptop and am quite happy with it :).

- Mac systems are not any easier to use than Windows or Linux systems, but people are more inclined to persist with learning how to use them because they just look so damn good or due to some clever marketing from Apple (or black magic, I dunno). Having said, OSX is a pretty decent OS from what I understand.

cudayne
May 21st, 2010, 05:23 AM
it comes too off the shelf user. Can I buy said game/software package hardware from walmart an make it run?

I like linux my kids computer has nothing else installed. I duel boot ubuntu 10 an windows 7 not cause i really want too but cause i can play the few games i like easily with windows.

The process to do so with linux is long an complicated.

Is it impossible? No

By all means its not i have looked it up but between work an family life i dont want too spend the time trying too make the program work in linux when i can just duel boot into windows an it just works.

When i can just pop it in an run it I will probly ditch windows completely.

Does this mean I am bad guy not really I am the average Joe with a computer. I dont wanna have to go through some odd commandline or other process too force my computer too run something i just want it too run no fuss no muss windows offers that.

When Linux does this it will be embraced.

Aleutian89
May 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
When I tell folks I am using linux they go "Gosh you must be smart" or some form of that, then proceed to ask questions how to fix their windows junk. Sheesh I think that alone says it folks think you have to be and expert to use linux. I am by far not a expert, I put Ubuntu 9.10 on my mothers comp and with a small tour and once awhile showing features to her she has pretty much been happy and works real well for her. She is as far from tech savvy in general.

jlaki
May 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Because they never used it.

But, when they have to, people get used to it pretty fast and then say how it's simple, simpler then Windows.

Ebere
May 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM
I think a LOT of people are lost because they even if they get through the installation successfully... It doesn't "Work".

IOW, it doesn't do most of the stuff they are expecting it to do.

And they have, and are given, absolutely no clue that there even ARE things they can install or upgrade... Let alone any clue as to what those things are, and/or how to get them installed.

~~~

You install Ubuntu.

Then you have to install something else.

Then you ha... Well, you get the picture.

You'd better have a lot of patience about inputting the password constantly for a while. And you ARE inputting your password so often right at first, that you begin to wonder if you are going to have to go on putting in your password, several times, every day, forever. As long as you use the OS.

Each of those things further, that you have to install... You have to figure out -that- you have to install something -in the first place-.

You won't get many, if any at all, clues about it.

Once you figure out you have to install something else, you have to find out 1.) WHAT it is. 2.) Where to get it. 3.) How to get it. 4.) How to install it.

~~~

Upon installation, there should be some sort of tour.

A tour which can be run again, at the click of an icon on the desktop. Make it difficult enough to remove that icon, that a person has to actually LEARN a bit, before they are able to do so.

In that tour, -at least- run through all the apps that windows users normally want, and run.

For each app, tell about the linux alternative.

Tell them how to make decisions about what they really need, and what they may not necessarily need.

Say something more about the app than just, that it is a replacement for office, or messenger or media player.

Tell whether the app will fall under the free, or universal, or whatever, repository. Explain what that means, so people can make an educated decision.

Then tell in detail, exactly how to go about installing the app. Don't just say to use Synaptic, or whatever.

Tell HOW to use Synaptic.

Including how to change/add repositories. Whatever is needed, to install the particular app that is currently being discussed.

If a command line is needed, explain the terminal.

None of this geek-shorthand like "Open a terminal and type in "blotto binkies".

Tell them WHAT a terminal is. Tell them HOW to get to a terminal. Tell them they have to type sudo first, or whatever. Etc. Do not assume that the person following the instructions knows the tiniest thing about it.

And realize that even if they get through it correctly this time, that doesn't mean they can do it again, without explicit instructions.