PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Wubi upgrade failed

Artstanding
May 7th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I have a Wubi installation, and the upgrade to 10.04 froze. I didn't note down the point at which it froze.

When I tried to reboot, I got the grub screen, and when selecting Ubuntu I get lots of text messages scrolling by, but it freezes at battery check.

The machine boots fine into Vista.

Rather than spend a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong in the upgrade, my inclination is to delete the Wubi installation from within Windows, and then do a fresh install of 10.04 under Wubi. Is this feasible/sensible?

There are a handful of files I would like to salvage from the prior installation, however. Could I do that with a Live CD since the prior installation was under Wubi?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Artstanding

Colin Keenan
May 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I had the same problem (I think) and reported a bug. The exact problem was that the network-manager-applet reported that it didn't have enough resources or something and shut down the network. The installation stopped working at that point. After reporting the bug, I tried rebooting and like you, just got text on the screen. It never made it to asking me my login information.

I went into windows and renamed the old wubi.exe and downloaded another. Ran it - the first time it asked if I really wanted to uninstall so I said yes. I ran it again and it installed and worked perfectly but I'm in the process of re-setting up everything.

Worse than that though, I was depending on UbuntuOne to put back all my important files. I kept them all in the UbuntuOne folder because I thought they would be automatically backed up to the cloud. There were two problems. First, they weren't current - the most important ones that I update daily were a month out of date. Second, when I added this computer to my Ubuntu-One account it did the sync backwards from what I expected. It DELETED everything off the cloud to make it match my empty local folder. I lost everything.

Artstanding
May 7th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Thanks, Colin.

For the benefit of others with this problem, what I ended up doing is this:

1. Copied the files I wanted to save using this procedure (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20can%20I%20access%20my%20Wubi%20ins tall%20and%20repair%20my%20install%20if%20it%20won %27t%20boot?).

2. Uninstall Ubuntu by running the Wubi uninstaller from within Windows (it's in the Ubuntu directory).

3. Reinstall Wubi.
I'm in the process of step 3 right now, so I can't confirm that everything will come out fine, but I'm optimistic ... though not happy that the upgrade failed in the first place.

-Artstanding-

PS - I'm moving to STL later this month and look forward to a KC roadtrip to check out the BBQ.

kylewat
May 10th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I have a Wubi installation, and the upgrade to 10.04 froze. I didn't note down the point at which it froze.

When I tried to reboot, I got the grub screen, and when selecting Ubuntu I get lots of text messages scrolling by, but it freezes at battery check.

The machine boots fine into Vista.

Rather than spend a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong in the upgrade, my inclination is to delete the Wubi installation from within Windows, and then do a fresh install of 10.04 under Wubi. Is this feasible/sensible?

There are a handful of files I would like to salvage from the prior installation, however. Could I do that with a Live CD since the prior installation was under Wubi?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Artstanding

Boot into the recovery kernel mode and run dpkg. It'll eventually stall and ask you y/n. CRTL-ALT-DEL at that point and you'll be able to run the new distro through WUBI. But it asks you to update grub... don't know where/how to do that.