PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE4 Window Decorator Crashes with Compiz in Lucid Lynx 10.04

PJSingh5000
May 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
This is a thread to discuss Bug #572780 - KDE Window Decorator crash using Compiz in Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

ACTIONS:
On Kubuntu x64 10.04 Lucid Lynx, install the following Compiz packages...
compiz
compizconfig-settings-manager
compiz-kde
compiz-fusion-plugins-main
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
fusion-icon

Select Compiz as the window manager. KDE Window Decorator crashes with the following error...

RESULT:
Application: KDE Window Decorator (kde4-window-decorator), signal: Segmentation fault

POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND:
Use the Plastik window decoration theme...

Select K | System Settings | Appearance | Windows | Window Decoration (tab)
Select "Plastik" from the drop down.
Click Apply button.

PJSingh5000
May 6th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Has anyone else had success with the Plastik approach? (One user in the bug report said it did not work for him).

I have tried this on three machines.
Two are Intel x64 with on-board Intel graphics chips.
One is AMD x64 with an older ATI graphics card.

The trick worked on all machines, but I did start off with a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04, instead of an upgrade.

kastel
May 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I am the one for whom the trick did not work. Instead, the X server crashed immediately.

However, I'm using Openbox now, hopefully waiting for compiz-kde packet to be updated, as the problem has already been fixed upstream.

Cheers.

kastel
May 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Edit: the trick works now. What caused X to crash was the transition from Openbox to Compiz.

BryanFRitt
May 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM
The Plastik setting for Window Decoration trick worked for me.

--

possible confusion for those who are sleepy...

K menu -> Application -> Settings -> System Settings -> Look & Feel section -> Appearance -> Windows -> Window Decoration Tab -> Plastik, is not the same as
K menu -> Application -> Settings -> System Settings -> Look & Feel section -> Appearance -> Style -> Applications tab -> Widget style, which has a setting called 'plastique'

Zorael
May 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The kde-window-decorator decorator has basically always been garbage in KDE4, so I've used Emerald instead. It can't use normal KDE4 decorations, but kde-look.org (http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=102) has some decent themes to pick from.

texaswriter
June 7th, 2010, 07:01 AM
The kde-window-decorator decorator has basically always been garbage in KDE4, so I've used Emerald instead. It can't use normal KDE4 decorations, but kde-look.org (http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=102) has some decent themes to pick from.

This worked for me.

sudo aptitude install emerald libemeraldengine0
compiz --replace
emerald --replace

Good luck.

cneha
June 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM
This worked for me.

sudo aptitude install emerald libemeraldengine0
compiz --replace
emerald --replace
Good luck.

when i run these command,while executing the command compiz --replace my system stopped working and i had to restart.i am using KDE 10.04.and i selected window decorator as emerald still i am unable to install theme.
any help??

texaswriter
June 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Supposing Kwin is currently running: Install emerald and its prerequisites as well as compiz

Then compiz --replace; emerald --replace;

That didn't stop my system. If it does, ensure *which* one is freezing it. Does using one halt your system or the other... Or in other words, try them by themselves. Emerald may not [probably won't] use the same theme that was installed by itself. You can google emerald theme download and find suitable themes.

oneye
October 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
Has anyone else had success with the Plastik approach? (One user in the bug report said it did not work for him).

I have tried this on three machines.
Two are Intel x64 with on-board Intel graphics chips.
One is AMD x64 with an older ATI graphics card.

The trick worked on all machines, but I did start off with a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04, instead of an upgrade.

Switching to Plastic allowed Compiz to use the KDE Window Manager without any error.

I'm running 10.04 x64 on a Asus G73JH (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 & Intel i7)
I had Compiz up & running with Emerald Window Manger working fine but read somewhere that support for Emerald may be dropped (or something like that). So I thought I would try switching the Window Decorator to KDE4 via the Compiz Fusion Icon. At first this worked without any errors popping up but there were no borders around my windows. I tried to apply a new style under System Settings>Appearance>Style with no change. But after I went into Compiz Config Settings Manager - Effects>Window Decoration, under command I removed the --replace from 'kde4-window-decorator --replace' & once I reloaded my Window Manager that error popped up (still with no Window Borders of course). I set So I went back to Emerald.

TLDR; Plastic Fix worked for me. Sounds like the Compiz crew have a fix already in the works.

-1i

lorebett
October 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi
is there a way to turn on/off compiz from a kde configuration menu? or is the command line the only approach?
thanks in advance
Lore