PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Go back to Karmic

bofh1961
May 6th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Guys, I'm so impressed with Lucid that I'd like to revert to Karmic as soon as possible. How do I do this without losing my data?

tgm4883
May 6th, 2010, 10:49 PM
backup your data, reinstall karmic, restore your data

AlanR8
May 6th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've been impressed with Lucid since the early Alpha releases! Everything just works!

What was it that impressed you so much?

bofh1961
May 6th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hate the look and feel of 10.4. The first thing it did was move all the buttons over to the left! Some s/w packages I'm trying to install just won't run. I think Ubuntu is fab so long as you only want to browse the web. I still haven't found a decent music application that compares with Media Monkey or a photo editing package that actually works. Actually, I could have shortened that last bit to; "I still haven't found a decent application." I love Ubuntu but...

AlanR8
May 6th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Five laptops and three desktops in this house and no Doze machines. Of the three desktops, one is my wife's iMac bought as an Xmas present 2009. She made the adjustment from Doze but it was a curve.

My younger son uses a Mac Book Pro but his desktop machine is Lucid.

We all find apps that just work.

What are you looking for?

tgm4883
May 6th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I seriously wonder about your competency if you think going back to karmic is going to give you more applications

cbecker78
May 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM
It might help if you mention what applications you were able to get to work in Karmic that are now broken in 10.04... Any chance it could be as simple as adding lucid repositories? Or maybe the upgrade did not install completely. I don't know, since I haven't bit the bullet and upgraded yet.

I think it couldn't hurt to try "sudo apt-get -f install" or "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to try and repair any upgrade-broken programs.