PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome panel icons wrong!

michel.smo
May 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Sorry about my English.

I have a problem, when I turn on my computer with ubuntu 10.04 most of the times I have a problem with the gnome panel icons. They look like this picture:

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2051/pantallazolq.th.png (http://img693.imageshack.us/i/pantallazolq.png/)

Other times I have more icons wrong, but in this case the username icon is cut and the turn off icon does not appear.

The solution that I have found is to restart the graphical environment (ctrl+alt+del)

Anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix it?

bloodorange
May 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I get this same problem. Sometimes the panel icons seem to be corrupted. I don't know how to fix it, though!

finlost
May 6th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Try resetting the notification panel. Not sure if that will work, but it seems a file(s) is corrupted.

michel.smo
May 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Try resetting the notification panel. Not sure if that will work, but it seems a file(s) is corrupted.

How do you do that?

Budoc
May 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have similar issues to the initial poster.

I have tried resetting my panels using the following commands:

mkdir ~/.oldpanel
mv ~/.gconf/apps/panel ~/.oldpanel
gconftool-2 --shutdown
pkill gnome-panel

After this, I still get the same problem. I can only solve it by running the following command and then waiting for the panels to return:

killall gnome-panel

At the moment, I suspect that it is the weather and temperature function of the time that is doing it. I've not yet observed this if I do not display the weather and the temperature by the clock, but I am still testing this. I also observe this problem if I use the weather applet elsewhere on the panel.

Any ideas what is going on?

Edit: This appears to be a known bug in gnome according to this report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/439448 I wonder why this hasn't affected me before Lucid?

michel.smo
May 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
At the moment, I suspect that it is the weather and temperature function of the time that is doing it. I've not yet observed this if I do not display the weather and the temperature by the clock, but I am still testing this. I also observe this problem if I use the weather applet elsewhere on the panel.

I use the weather and temperature function too...

jasontan6
May 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Have the same problem too - weather and temperature were turned on.
Turned them off and the problem doesn't occur.
Turn it back on and the icons are garbled again.

Going to see if it's already reported as a bug now.

EDIT: Weather and temperature are off now, but there is a gap appearing randomly between the tray app icons and clock. (dagh!)

fromans
May 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I have similar issues to the initial poster.

I have tried resetting my panels using the following commands:

mkdir ~/.oldpanel
mv ~/.gconf/apps/panel ~/.oldpanel
gconftool-2 --shutdown
pkill gnome-panel

After this, I still get the same problem. I can only solve it by running the following command and then waiting for the panels to return:

killall gnome-panel

Any ideas what is going on?

Edit: This appears to be a known bug in gnome according to this report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/439448 I wonder why this hasn't affected me before Lucid?

Thanks for the tip! I've had the same problem and have just been recreating my panel when it happens, but the
killall gnome-panel fixes it immediately. Bravo!

mydoom5
June 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I still have a problem. Aside from the garbled icons, which can be fixed with the command mentioned above (thanks :) ), I noticed that the audio volume icon has disappeared! I tried to remove the notification area icons and add them once again from the panel menu, but it didn't solve the problem. Can you help please?
Edit: I almost forgot, I'm having yet another problem. It seems that the Empathy icon which is integrated with Lucid Linx also has disappeared.
Thanks.

mydoom5
June 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Bump

45acp
August 14th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Same problem here.

Spunner
August 27th, 2010, 12:38 AM
This problem has been bugging me ever since I installed lucid...

Would like to know if there is a resolution...

soulShredder
August 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Same here. On mine it also seems to randomly position all the icons too - they're in different positions each time you boot. I think that might be a separate issue though, as the killall command doesn't fix it - when the panel re-loads everything is in yet another different position! This only happens on lucid, I ran karmic for about 3 months and never had a problem like this.

bloodorange
November 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I don't know whether how long this will last, but I changed my theme to Clearlooks and I don't seem to be getting the panel corruption any more. Could it possibly be Ambiance and Radiance causing this problem?

battlemage04
December 9th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Same here. On mine it also seems to randomly position all the icons too - they're in different positions each time you boot. I think that might be a separate issue though, as the killall command doesn't fix it - when the panel re-loads everything is in yet another different position! This only happens on lucid, I ran karmic for about 3 months and never had a problem like this.

same problem for me, im running maverick, the position of the icons only recently "moved" not immediately but soon after a recent series of updates... and while the location of my icons are pretty consistent, i do have to refresh the panel every time i reboot.

bvc
December 10th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Ambiance and Radiance use the same engine. So that could be an issue. They both also have special settings for the panel, so what I would do is go into the gtkrc and disable the special panel settings to attempt to narrow down the problem. At the botton of their gtkrc you'll find
include "apps/gnome-panel.rc" just add an # to it so it looks like this
#include "apps/gnome-panel.rc" save the gtkrc and reset the theme to see if this helps.

Jotomicron
December 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Another way to temporarily solve the problem, without killing the panel, is to right-click, select properties and "Show hide buttons". The panel needs to rearrange itself to accommodate the buttons and redraws correctly. Now simply remove the hidden buttons, if you want.

I do this, specially because I don't really like to kill applications, but I have to do it after every reboot...