PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 upgrade issue

harige
May 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
hello guys,

I had Windows XP and Ubuntu KK dual-booted. I decieded to upgrade to ubuntu LL as I wanted to experience the latest version which I had heard a lot abt.

I upgraded using the alternate cd , upgrade was complete , it said it will restart after removing the files, but it was quick to come back to login screen and I was on desktop.

But I have no idea, I cannot restart ubuntu anymore. everytime it it boots to non-gui mode and asks me to log me in

Ubuntu username: _

I log in as root, it lets me in and i run startx , it fails with a bunch of errors.

please help I need to get back to desktop.

harige

kingneutron
May 7th, 2010, 12:09 AM
hello guys,

I had Windows XP and Ubuntu KK dual-booted. I decieded to upgrade to ubuntu LL as I wanted to experience the latest version which I had heard a lot abt.

I upgraded using the alternate cd , upgrade was complete , it said it will restart after removing the files, but it was quick to come back to login screen and I was on desktop.

But I have no idea, I cannot restart ubuntu anymore. everytime it it boots to non-gui mode and asks me to log me in

Ubuntu username: _

I log in as root, it lets me in and i run startx , it fails with a bunch of errors.

please help I need to get back to desktop.

harige

-- As root, try ' Xorg -configure ' (case sensitive) -- then startx