PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clock keeps quitting unexpectedly

lanetherif
May 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hi,
I keep getting an error message that informs me that "Clock has quit unexpectedly" and asks me whether I want to reload it or not. It seems to happen when I leave pc for a few minutes, as far as I remember it never happened when the pc was actively in use.

Any ideas?

lanetherif
May 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
No ideas? :D

lanetherif
May 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Really, ubuntu forums?
At least give me a clue... :D

kako13
May 11th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I have the same problem.

cariboo
May 11th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Have you tried:

kill-all gnome-panel

lyall
May 11th, 2010, 02:55 AM
How old is your PC?

if it is over three years old it might be your CMOS battery

weird things can happen before the battery dies

good luck and have fun learning

lanetherif
May 11th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I have the same problem.

Exactly this!
When should I use kill all command? I mean when there is no error or when the error shows up?
My computer is fairly new, I don't think it is about the cmos battery.

lanetherif
May 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Have you tried:

kill-all gnome-panel

I have tried it anyway. :)
I got this message:
No command 'kill-all' found, did you mean:
Command 'killall' from package 'psmisc' (main)
kill-all: command not found

update: I tried it as killall. Yet, the problem persists.

gdonwallace
May 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'll add my voice to this as well. I am having the same problem.

Not sure what causes it, but it is the caused by a child process continuing to run after a parent process has either stopped running, or stopped due to an error. I found this by running the TOP command, and found a zombie process. I used this ps axo stat,ppid,pid,cmd | grep ^Z to get the PPID of the zombie process and killed it with the -9 flag, and it asked me to restart CLOCK.

Because the zombie process is causing my system to slow down when I try to do anything, I know when it happens, just don't have any clue to what is causing it.

lanetherif
May 18th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I am not sure whether it is due to this, but after not reloading clock when the prompt screen popped out, I manually added it to the panel and it now seems to work right. If you didn't up to now, you might want to give it a chance.

TippMoseley
May 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Adding multiple locations while disconnected from the internet is a reliable reproducer for me. The first seems to be ok, but the second will trigger a crash.