PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do i get the window buttons on the left in lucid?

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi, I recently upgraded to lucid lynx via the update manager, but the window buttons did not switch to the left side, or install a theme that has the window buttons on the left side, how do I get them on the left side, or what theme do I download?

Ugluk
May 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
In Metacity settings.

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Which setting in metacity?

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 06:33 PM
*bump*

eltonw
May 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi, I recently upgraded to lucid lynx via the update manager, but the window buttons did not switch to the left side, or install a theme that has the window buttons on the left side, how do I get them on the left side, or what theme do I download?

Go to System ==> Appearance ==> Theme
and configure the desktop appearance to your liking.

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM
but which theme has the window buttons on the left side?

sakisds
May 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I think changing the theme/controls once will put the buttons to the right, just play a bit with the themes.

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I don't understand what you mean, i just want to know which theme has the window buttons on the right, and i'm also sorta new to ubuntu. :D

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
*bump*

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
*bump*

Labus
May 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Doesn't you notice when you try different themes? I think Ambience and Radience have the buttons to the left.The other have them to the right. Otherwise can you use Ubuntu tweak and change the buttons however you want, even remove them completely.

Mr_VeRiTy
May 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I dont have ambience or radience in my appearence preferences

jr3us
May 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Install ubuntu-tweak, and in the Windows section, select the buttons to be on the right and thats it.

eltonw
May 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I don't understand what you mean, i just want to know which theme has the window buttons on the right, and i'm also sorta new to ubuntu. :D

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/193-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-1004-post-installation-guide#mwbuttons
Windows Buttons Order

A lot of users complain that the new place for the minize - maximize - close window buttons isn't good. Mwbuttons is a script that allows you to easily change the place the buttons place from left to right. To install and run it type:
wget http://launchpad.net/mwbuttons/trunk/v0.2/+download/mwbuttons
chmod +x mwbuttons
./mwbuttons

The above is taken from a very useful link for post-install tweakings of LUCID:

Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 Post Installation Guide

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/193-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-1004-post-installation-guide

(If you use a Macintosh as I do, you would find that the default button placement in LUCID is similar to that of OSX.)

user333
May 7th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I think I have an idea :) (I do some metacity-theming so I know a little about it)

you need to open gedit first, and then you need to find /usr/share/themes/[theme-name]/

if you can't find it there, look in /home/[your-user-name]/.themes/[theme-name]/
open the index.theme file.

you should see a line that says ButtonLayout=, or maybe there isn't one. Just add it in this case.

Maybe it says:

ButtonLayout=:minimize,maximize,closeAll you have to do is change the position of the ":" to the right to make the buttons go on the left, or on the right to make the buttons go on the left (who made it like that anyway? :confused: )

And to change the button layout, just switch the order of the words, like in this example from the dust theme:

ButtonLayout=maximize,minimize,close:I believe this only works in lucid.

hope this answers your question!

n.l.o
June 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Maybe it says:

ButtonLayout=:minimize,maximize,closeAll you have to do is change the position of the ":" to the right to make the buttons go on the left, or on the right to make the buttons go on the left (who made it like that anyway? :confused: )

And to change the button layout, just switch the order of the words, like in this example from the dust theme:

ButtonLayout=maximize,minimize,close:I believe this only works in lucid.

This sure helped me out... Although I changed it in gconf (Applications>Metacity>General = the "button_layout" string)