PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ext 5

FahadMKS
May 6th, 2010, 12:39 PM
has the ext 5 released

RTrev
May 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM
What is ext 5? If you mean the next file system after ext4, I haven't heard of any plans to make such a thing yet.

Sorry. Perhaps you could elaborate?

srs5694
May 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
The last I'd heard, all eyes are on Btrfs to be the next "big" filesystem after ext4fs. Btrfs incorporates features like those found in Sun's ZFS.

For most people, though, there's no need to "keep up with the Joneses" in filesystems. Most desktop users won't see much difference between ext3fs and anything else (ReiserFS, XFS, JFS, ext4fs, or even Btrfs). To be sure, there are differences between them, but they're fairly minor for typical desktop users, which I gather most of this forum's readers are. Some Btrfs features might be important on the desktop, but Btrfs is still new enough that you should only be playing with those features on non-critical systems and if you already know a fair amount about filesystems and their text-mode tools.

FahadMKS
May 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Yes, I had meant the Files System after ext 4

I was planning to install the Ubuntu 10.04 and would like to know what is the files system used fpor that.

RTrev
May 7th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Yes, I had meant the Files System after ext 4

I was planning to install the Ubuntu 10.04 and would like to know what is the files system used fpor that.

Ah. Ext4 is the default file system for 10.04. Keep in mind that a clean install will give you the ext4 file system, but an update will keep the existing file system you already have.

FahadMKS
May 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thank you Guys, I have installed the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and will be here later to get much more details about it to know Ubuntu and to help others.