PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about updates.

vbmark
May 6th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hello,

1) I thought linux (or Ubuntu) would tell me somehow when there are new updates I need to install, like Windows does. But I never see any indication. I used this software name "Ubuntu Tweak" to check for update and found 32 new packages. Why wasn't I told about these? Did I accidentally turn something off and I need to turn it back on? Or do I have to configure something special?

2) How can I find out what features or bug fixes these updates provide. For example, one of the files was named "linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic". I'm guessing this is part of the core system. I would really like to know what changed in this and the other 31 updates. How do I find this information?

Thanks!
Mark

rg_stephens
May 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Go to System >> Administration >> Update Manager. Here you can see all recommended updates, and what they are for. It should be set to check automatically.

I noticed the same thing since I upgraded to 10.4. Earlier versions would give me a notification on the top panel. And I am set to automatically receive updates.

mprince
May 6th, 2010, 02:05 AM
2) How can I find out what features or bug fixes these updates provide. For example, one of the files was named "linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic". I'm guessing this is part of the core system. I would really like to know what changed in this and the other 31 updates. How do I find this information?

In Update Manager,,, if you click on the [+] Description of update a textbox will expand and give you more information about any update you have highlighted.