PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no plymouth theme after lucid upgrade

mathfeel
May 6th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Upgrade to lucid (by running update-manager -d) succeeded with no major error. But when I reboot the computer, the boot splash screen is "Ubuntu Studio" and the login screen's background is a "Ubuntu-eee" png picture. A funny mess.

I was able to get to the new boot splash screen by remove --purge ubuntu-studio, which I must have installed sometimes in the past, but I don't see anyway of getting the new theme for the login screen.

I have this eeepc for about 2 years and never have to fresh-install Ubuntu except the first time. I much rather not have to fresh-install just to solve some aesthetic problems. I am pretty sure it's due to some package I installed in the past, but I don't see any Ubuntu-eee related package in Synaptic either.

Anyone?

charlesopondo
May 8th, 2010, 01:09 AM
If you already have Plymouth installed, this trick, from elsewhere in this forum, worked for me:

In the terminal:

sudo pico /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash

then insert the text:

FRAMEBUFFER=y

exit, saving changes, then back to the terminal:

sudo update initramfs -u

Then reboot.

mathfeel
May 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Actually I reinstalled/re-removed ubuntu-studio and it worked!

As for the login screen, all I have to do is run change background as gdm using

gksu -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-control-center

I have one more issues. The same Ubuntu-eee background shows up at the password prompt for locked screen. I have no idea which user is responsible for that.

perspectoff
May 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM
If you already have Plymouth installed, this trick, from elsewhere in this forum, worked for me:

In the terminal:

sudo pico /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash

then insert the text:

FRAMEBUFFER=y

exit, saving changes, then back to the terminal:

sudo update initramfs -u

Then reboot.

Does nothing for me, even with the correct command

sudo update-initramfs -u