PDA

View Full Version : Gizmo SIP

nocturn
March 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Has anyone tried Gizmo, it's a SIP client.

I'm especially interested in the dialOUT functions...

Is it reliable, is the sound quality ok, is there a lag?

gnu2tux
March 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
IMHO it's far better than Skype - free voicemail, you get 0.25c free callout credit when you start up and it works very well.

It was a tad buggy when it was first released, but it seems rock solid on my ubuntu box now.

Definitely worth while.

allybally.

derek_harding
March 20th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I agree - I have used Gizmo on several different Linux and Windows installation - including my laptops, and I think it performs better than Skype though it doesn;t have the "polish".
I haven't tried Skype with asterisk but I have used my Gizmo account with it quite successfully.
--
Best wishes,
Derek

derek_harding
March 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry - I should have read your request more closely:

DialOut - seems to work pretty well - I have never had any failure but I find the sound quality is not always very good gatewayed onto a POT system.
Internal calls - within LANs, across the WAN and Internet do not seem to suffer significant lag but I have found significant volume loss on WAN and Internet connexions (I use standard ADSL).
Once only have I had to abandon a call due to lag but several times because of low volume.

I hope that helps more than my other reply!

All the best

nocturn
March 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Sorry - I should have read your request more closely:

DialOut - seems to work pretty well - I have never had any failure but I find the sound quality is not always very good gatewayed onto a POT system.
Internal calls - within LANs, across the WAN and Internet do not seem to suffer significant lag but I have found significant volume loss on WAN and Internet connexions (I use standard ADSL).
Once only have I had to abandon a call due to lag but several times because of low volume.

I hope that helps more than my other reply!

All the best

Thanks for your answer!

I want to use it mainly to call from my PC to a mobile in Turkey (I'm in Belgium), so I'll have to test it to see how it behaves...

majikstreet
March 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I've used the 25 cents up and it's fairly nice.. I would use it if I hadn't pushed like six people into using skype.. lol