PDA

View Full Version : state of the iphone in ubuntu?

mamamia88
May 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
does anyone have one? and which model? i want to know the status of how it works in ubuntu. thinking of jumping on board with the new release

wersdaluv
May 6th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I have an iPod Touch. I can sync it out of the box in Lucid with Rhythmbox. I can see playlists too

mamamia88
May 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM
is drag and drop supported?

sudoer541
May 6th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I have an iPod Touch. I can sync it out of the box in Lucid with Rhythmbox. I can see playlists too

I had the same question!!!
What iPod generation do you have? Is it jailbroken? What software OS are you running?
Could you please post a video on youtube to see how Lucid syncs with iphones/ipods?
I will upgrade to 10.04 soon!!!

mamamia88
May 6th, 2010, 03:53 AM
also what is the chance of apple bricking it via software update?

t0p
May 6th, 2010, 04:10 AM
also what is the chance of apple bricking it via software update?

Going on previous form, I'd say the chances are extremely good that Apple will do its utmost to screw with Linux users. Apple puts up with Windows users because it has to; but Linux!? Apple doesn't want you to use Linux. What possible reason is there for Apple to cater for Linux users?

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. It's a logical fallacy to say Apple's past inclination to monkey about with Linux users makes it more likely that Apple will do more of the same. Maybe we'll see Apple encouraging people to use Linux, giving away free Ubuntu CDs with every Mac it sells. Maybe Apple will manufacture robots to help little old ladies cross busy roads. Maybe Apple will give new iPods a more complicated user interface.

murderslastcrow
May 6th, 2010, 05:35 AM
If an upgrade is available, I would suggest waiting a week, then checking to see if anyone's having issues, and use that to determine what you'll do. Linux doesn't modify the software on the iPhone, just the data stored in it, through the same databases iTunes does. So there's no reason it should brick the iPhone, only block the Linux support.

However, since they went pretty far to combat this, I doubt they'll be investing a lot of time in continuing to shut us off- and if they do, I don't expect the lowered support to take another 2-3 years to surpass like it was last time.

Also, most iPhone owners from the future already have one, today. More people are heading over to Android-based phones since they offer more selection on more providers with varied prices for devices. I don't see iPhone sales exploding too soon, and the majority of owners' devices will already be supported on Linux.

bigsmitty64
May 6th, 2010, 05:43 AM
iPhone 3g running firmware version 3.1.3 here. Everything so far is awesome. Complete drag and drop, to and from phone with Rhythmbox!