PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost emails, bookmarks and Pictures after upgrade to Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04)

electriccarz
May 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I upgraded from Karmic to Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04) a few days ago (without backing up any data first). At first everything seemed fine but yesterday three things happened:

1. All my emails and address book have disappeared in Thunderbird. When I started Thunderbird, it took me through the wizard and seems to have overwritten my profile with a new one. There is only one profile in the Thunderbird folder and it seems to contain no emails and only a new, blank address book (the small size of the folder backs this up. I searched the hard drive but found no other emails or address book files.

2. My bookmarks have disappeared from Google Chrome. Again, it seems to have created a new, blank bookmark file. The bookmark.bak file is similarly blank and when I search I can find no other bookmark files.

3. The Pictures folder (in the home folder) is now empty; suggesting that ubuntu has either overwritten the Pictures folder with a new blank folder or deleted all the files in it. Again, when I search the hard drive for jpg files, it doesn't find any of the pictures that were in the Pictures folder.
Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? I have spent all day on the net trying to get to the bottom of this but am wondering if my only option is to try a recovery tool...

Very grateful for any advice.
Ralph

okplayer02
May 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
hate to tell you but its gone cause when u upgraded your home was not a seperate partition. You should always make a seperate partition for your /home so that when you upgrade or reinstall you have all your settings from previous. Also good idea to back up hate to tell you.

electriccarz
May 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I will certainly back up in future. But are you sure that putting the home folder onto a different partition would have prevented the thunderbird profile, bookmarks and Pictures folder from being overwritten? And if I create a new partition and then move the entire home folder to it - could this mess anything up?
Thanks again
Ralph

okplayer02
May 6th, 2010, 09:37 AM
yes that is where all the settings for the user are stored generally for the user. for all the programs you have run on ur machine. if you hit the Ctrl + H in your file browser you will see the hidden files which are files i mentioned that store you settings.