PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] drag windows to other workspace

JakeFrederix
May 5th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I used to be able to drag a window to another workspace.
I recently upgraded to Lucid Lynx. Now I'm unable to perform aforementioned action.
The other effects (wobbly windows for instance) are still enabled.
I've completely reinstalled Compiz.
I cannot change the number of desktops with CompizConfig Settings Manager.

nhasian
May 5th, 2010, 10:15 PM
to change the number of workspaces, simply right click on the workspace-switcher on the taskbar and choose preferences. Alternatively you can also do it via System-> Preferences-> CompizConfig Settings Manager, General options, Desktop Size.

to drag windows to other workspaces go to Desktop-> Desktop Wall Plugin-> Edge Flipping and tick the box for "Edge Flip Move"

JakeFrederix
May 6th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Thank you.

dt_
May 6th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Why isn't that the default setting? :P

BTW, thanks as well, I was having the same issue.

dt_
May 6th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Actually -- another question : how do I make it so that when I scroll up or down with my mouse over the desktop, it goes to the next or previous workspace? In previous Ubuntus this was the default setting with Compiz on.. o_O

dt_
May 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
anyone? :(

nhasian
May 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I think no one responded because your thread is marked [solved]

anyway to answer your 2nd question, go to CompizConfig Settings Manager-> Desktop-> Viewport Switcher, then click on the tab "Desktop-based Viewport Switching" and set Move Next, and Move Prev to Button4 and Button5. that should allow you to use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

mr.rhtuner
May 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM
This was very informative

Thank you for the help

BarakNaveh
May 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks, it helped me too.

pro1ove
September 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
to change the number of workspaces, simply right click on the workspace-switcher on the taskbar and choose preferences. Alternatively you can also do it via System-> Preferences-> CompizConfig Settings Manager, General options, Desktop Size.

to drag windows to other workspaces go to Desktop-> Desktop Wall Plugin-> Edge Flipping and tick the box for "Edge Flip Move"

It works!

Thanks.

pro1ove
September 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
It works!

Thanks.

Why cannot my icon show in the posts?

Jerommel
December 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
Why isn't that the default setting? :P

BTW, thanks as well, I was having the same issue.
Must say I think it's quite stupid that it doesn't work by default.
Dwelling over the desktopicons it says: "Click and start dragging ..."
But it won't do zip.

facelikebambi
January 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hi

First time user of Ubuntu here (10.10) and noticed the same problem. Hovering over an icon in the switcher shows the "click to start dragging" prompt, but dragging doesn't work.

How do I get to the Compiz settings? I don't know what Compiz is, but see it listed in installed applications.

I saw another suggestion of using Metacity as compositing manager. Again, I see it is installed but do idea what Metacity is!

Many thanks ;)

facelikebambi
January 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
oops sorry double-posted. Can't seem to delete?