PDA

View Full Version : Annoyance

scottuss
May 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Just ran apt-get update, Transmission had a dependency problem and the update crashed the whole machine. gnome-settings daemon was something that didn't get updated properly so on restart I had a horrid looking desktop.

When I did get everything working, the update has put the Window buttons back on the left. Not a massive deal to move them back, but it is really quite annoying.

I don't mind the decisions that Canonical make, but for the love of everything PLEASE respect MY decisions. I WANT THE BUTTONS ON THE DARN RIGHT!!!!!!!!

/rant

Ubuntu still rocks, however :)

NightwishFan
May 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Do not update when it may break packages. Generally that only happens on development editions though.

juancarlospaco
May 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Beta means beta... fresh install Final

scottuss
May 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Do not update when it may break packages. Generally that only happens on development editions though.

I didn't have much choice, I clicked update in the update manager and it went on it's way without complaining until it was too late.

I'm running Lucid Final, no development version here!

NightwishFan
May 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
It would warn you with a partial upgrade, which you can choose not to do by canceling. Then it will just update everything possible without breaking packages.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I don't mind the decisions that Canonical make, but for the love of everything PLEASE respect MY decisions. I WANT THE BUTTONS ON THE DARN RIGHT!!!!!!!!

You didn't happen to move your window buttons over by adjusting the gconf key manually, did you? The button layout is tied to your seleced theme, now, so if you select a different theme your gconf setting is overridden with that theme's preferred layout.

So the Ambiance, Radiance and Dust themes explicitly say they want buttons in a particular order on the left. Meanwhile Homosapien, Human, Sorbet and New Wave say they want buttons on the right. As you change themes it'll make sense ;)

So, if you want Ambiance or Radiance with buttons on the right, I made a little theme package just for your case :P :
http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/downloads/themes/Ambience_Radiance-Right.tar.gz

scottuss
May 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
It would warn you with a partial upgrade, which you can choose not to do by canceling. Then it will just update everything possible without breaking packages.

Um... I didn't do a partial upgrade. Package updates my dear man, package updates.

You didn't happen to move your window buttons over by adjusting the gconf key manually, did you? The button layout is tied to your seleced theme, now, so if you select a different theme your gconf setting is overridden with that theme's preferred layout.

So the Ambiance, Radiance and Dust themes explicitly say they want buttons in a particular order on the left. Meanwhile Homosapien, Human, Sorbet and New Wave say they want buttons on the right. As you change themes it'll make sense ;)

So, if you want Ambiance or Radiance with buttons on the right, I made a little theme package just for you:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/downloads/themes/Ambience_Radiance-Right.tar.gz

That's awesome, thanks so much! :D:D:D:D

NightwishFan
May 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I think your mistaken somehow, but I things happen I suppose. In any case to fix packages try:

sudo apt-get -f install

scottuss
May 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I think your mistaken somehow, but I things happen I suppose. In any case to fix packages try:

sudo apt-get -f install

What? I assure you that I am not mistaken. The Update Manager GUI listed some updates, which I said yes to. I entered my password as requested and the updates started. Something went wrong so I opened the Terminal and did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. At this point, I was warned of the dependency problems.

At no point was I warned before I did the update through the update manager.

P.S - I know about the -f switch :)

NightwishFan
May 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Well alright then. :) Are the dependency issues still present?