PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI video cards

perika
May 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi,

I have an ATI video card which makes the installation of 10.04 impossible. I have tried all tricks, but it won't happen. Instead of checking the forum daily for a new workaround, is there any place where I can find information on progress if someone is working on the problem. Or, should I give up and continue to use XP?

Thanks,
Per

Mark Phelps
May 6th, 2010, 02:16 PM
... is there any place where I can find information on progress if someone is working on the problem? ...

I've found the BEST place to go with ATI driver-related issues is the Phoronix forums. They do a LOT of work with both the restricted drivers and the open-source drivers.

sylvester_0
May 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Do you have a desktop and are you in the position to spend $30-$50 on a proper graphics card (nvidia)? If so I'd go that route - it'll save you many headaches!

dino99
May 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

emarkay
May 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Do you have a desktop and are you in the position to spend $30-$50 on a proper graphics card (nvidia)? If so I'd go that route - it'll save you many headaches!

Be kind... A $50 graphics card is as good as the "onboard graphics" on most 5 year old mainboards...

I have an ATI card and I have it working well. Most ATI issues are in the laptop hardware applications. Also as with any hardware part, many of the older cards are no longer supported.

OP - give us all the details of what hardware, memory, and other relevant data and maybe we can get you going!

cascade9
May 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Be kind... A $50 graphics card is as good as the "onboard graphics" on most 5 year old mainboards...

Not really...5 year old chipset onboard video would be Intel GMA900 (or worse), nVidia Nforce 6100/6150, or ATI radeon Xpress200. Any of which is outclassed by even a lowly nVidia 8400GS, which sells for $30-50 (in the US).

quadproc
May 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hi,

I have an ATI video card which makes the installation of 10.04 impossible. I have tried all tricks, but it won't happen.

If you can wait for a while then the open source drivers may be able to satisfy your needs.

quadproc