PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04 help

Crazy K
May 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, this may be a stupid question, but I'm asking it anyways. I'm thinking about upgrading from ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 Lucid Lynx and I was wondering about one thing.

When upgrading through the update manager (by using this as a guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades) Does it delete my files? Like photos, videos, music, etc. The same goes for my external HD because I have all of my music on there?

I just want to be safe because I'd like to upgrade to 10.04 as soon as possible. :)

butter[s]
May 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't upgrade that way man. What I ALWAYS do when I new version comes out... I back up ALL of my program dir's from the home folder and copy them to say your external drive (I use one of my slaves). Backup ALL of your media (video, music, etc.) because yes you will lose it all (upgrading, no you wont but upgrading is dangerous) Once you have completed the fresh install, install all of the same programs you were using or at least the dir's you backed up before the fresh install... copy the old dir's and paste em over the new ones and you will hardly be able to tell that you even changed anything. Some minor adjustments are needed here and there but less than you would think.
They say to stay away from upgrading via the Update Manager or in any way for that matter because there is a risk of some things not working but it really isn't THAT big of deal.
I have never had a problem doin it the way I just instructed... (hope it wasn't too confusing since I am not one who doles out advice very often) ;) but I like to help if I can or lend my opinion. I have been using ubuntu for 3 years. :D I do a fresh install of the latest release EVERY TIME! :D:guitar:

Crazy K
May 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hmm, I'll keep that all in mind.

What's so dangerous about upgrading though? I can see the possibility of programs not working and stuff being deleted. But I'm sure I can re-download certain programs and just disconnect my external HD before the upgrade. Well I'll throw my pics and documents on there too until after the upgrade. If the upgrade can actually upgrade without deleting stuff, then I'm all good. If not I wont even bother. That's all I really want to know.

snowpine
May 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Upgrading to Lucid should not delete your documents, settings, or applications. It is a good idea to have a backup of your documents at all times, regardless of whether or not you're updating. :)

Crazy K
May 5th, 2010, 07:06 PM
That's all I needed lol. Thanks.

If I have any problems I'll update you all here. I really should get an extra HD for backups though.

billg04
May 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Upgrading to Lucid should not delete your documents, settings, or applications. It is a good idea to have a backup of your documents at all times, regardless of whether or not you're updating. :)

How to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04?

The iso image (ubuntustudio-10.04-alternate-i386.iso) (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/10.04/release/ubuntustudio-10.04-alternate-i386.iso) I downloaded does not have "Upgrade" option like what the ubuntu 10.04 (ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso) image has.

When I boot up from the ubuntu studio 10.04 DVD, the only option I have is "Install", and that process is for clean install only, not upgrade!

Is there a different iso image which including the "Upgrade" option?

Thanks.

snowpine
May 5th, 2010, 08:16 PM
How to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04?

The iso image (ubuntustudio-10.04-alternate-i386.iso) (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/10.04/release/ubuntustudio-10.04-alternate-i386.iso) I downloaded does not have "Upgrade" option like what the ubuntu 10.04 (ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso) image has.

When I boot up from the ubuntu studio 10.04 DVD, the only option I have is "Install", and that process is for clean install only, not upgrade!

Is there a different iso image which including the "Upgrade" option?

Thanks.

Official upgrade instructions are here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

I do not know if it's possible to upgrade using the Ubuntu Studio disk, sorry.

Crazy K
May 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Upgrade went pretty good, was slow (3 hours maybe). It was extremely slow at first, but when I changed to the new theme, and got rid of the new chat agent (in the bottom right hand corner with the shut down icon) and restarted it all was like normal. :)