PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2.6.32-22 Kernel Update - anything new for lucid?

BrokeMahPC
May 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I have just run an upgrade and noticed Kernel update 2.6.32-22 for lucid.
Anything new in that? Anyone have any details?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
have not noticed anything in the frontend on that

antenna
May 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I seem to keep getting a corrupted package for it, despite changing repository a few times, fun.

_Pete_
May 5th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Just tried to boot and it won't work but only when selecting recovery mode from grub kernel list :(

BrokeMahPC
May 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
It worked ok for me:
During the installation of those upgrades it queried grub-pc.

This file has been changed locally - do you wish to keep local file or install developers?
I tossed a coin and installed the developers - seems to work ok.

CharlesA
May 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
It made it so that my server is currently hung after running fsck on the root drive. It's "clean" but all it is doing is just sitting there.

Awesome. At least I can go back to the prevous kernel.

uRock
May 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
CharlesA, I had that problem with almost every boot with the past few kernel releases. I finally went back to Karmic. I'll try Lucid again in a few months.

CharlesA
May 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
CharlesA, I had that problem with almost every boot with the past few kernel releases. I finally went back to Karmic. I'll try Lucid again in a few months.

Thanks for the info. I'm running on 2.6.33-21 for now, and it seems to boot up fine now.

Any way to remove the new kernel? apt-get purge?

philinux
May 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm running on 2.6.33-21 for now, and it seems to boot up fine now.

Any way to remove the new kernel? apt-get purge?

You could remove it via synaptic.

Also could you run this and raise a bug.

ubuntu-bug linux

The changelog showed a load of bug fixes so not booting is bad for some hardware.

CharlesA
May 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
You could remove it via synaptic.

Also could you run this and raise a bug.

ubuntu-bug linux

The changelog showed a load of bug fixes so not booting is bad for some hardware.

Thanks for the info. There is no GUI on the machine so I used this to remove the new kernel:

sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-22-server

I've reverted to the previous kernel. How do I report a bug with the new kernel if I cannot boot the new kernel?

philinux
May 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
@charlesA, How about boot recovery mode kernel if there is one?

CharlesA
May 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: No go. It still gets stuck after a whole load of text goes down the screen.

kubunut
May 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I have just run an upgrade and noticed Kernel update 2.6.32-22 for lucid.
Anything new in that? Anyone have any details?

Just updated and I noticed using the Hardware Drivers - Nvidia Driver install. The boot up Kubuntu screen looks less crap....but still crap.

More colours I think....but when I use the OS Nouveau drivers it looks beautiful, full 1440x900 for my LCD. Now it is 640x480 or something and flashes green and wierd characters flash up for a sec.

Itś improving !

kubunut

sylvester_0
May 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I just updated one of my servers that's running Lucid (was upgraded from a fresh Karmic install) and so far no problems!

icyrainz
May 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I have just updated to the new kernel of lucid. The grub of Wubi still has the old version and the recovery entry. How do I remove those ?

Kobalt
May 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM
You just need to remove the old Kernels using Synaptic (search for "linux-image-" packages) and the old entries will be removed automatically.

CharlesA
May 7th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Ended up having to do a clean install of Lucid, then getting the new kernel. Installed all the services after that and it works fine now.

Kinda makes me wonder what was causing it to hang in the first place.

pasisti
May 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM
For me this new kernel messed up the system. After installing from update manager it asked me to restart system. When it booted again, everything was split in two. I had two versions of the same screen, one on top of the other, and a black side bar (about 1/5th of the screen). I got an error message, which I couldn't read because both the views were also broken (pixels all over).

At first I thought that my graphics card was broken, because even windows and BIOS has this problem. But then after 4-5 reboots, the GRUB showed up like normal. The new kernel won't start up (haven't tried the recovery mode yet), but the previous kernel boots just like it used to.

I would make a bug command on terminal but I can't do it for the kernel I'm not using and is newer (it only gives me the choise to complain about previous kernels).

infamous-online
May 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I just upgraded my kernel and the update went just fine, but I haven't noticed any real changes.

Scroobytec
May 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
My upgrade went well until the next boot - nVidia driver not working. But after a reinstall everything A OK again.

No I have not found any noticeable/visible differences or changes yet.

The only thing that one could say is different is that my Genius Easy Pen i405 works - but that may be because after the upgrade I had added the PPA for the Wizard Pen Drivers!

TrevorBradley
May 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I just did a reboot of my system to this kernel and hit nvidia hell. Garbled screen, syslog claiming gdm couldn't be started, and with Xorg.log coming up with these errors:

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I rebooted, no change.

I rebooted again and went back to the previous version of the kernel (2.6.32.21) and got a garbled splash screen, but everything else was OK.

I didn't alter any of the packages before either reboot.

I'm running an onboard GeForce 6150 on an ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2, with the latest patch on Lucid.

stasiana
May 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Trevor -- I have the same m2npv-vm board. Have you found a way to get the onboard Geforce 6150 to work with Lucid Lynx? I'm at wit's end.

TrevorBradley
May 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I ended going back to kernel 2.6.32-21 for the time being, and waiting for a new update.

Not having the very newest kernel isn't horrifying, I'm hopeful that whatever was broken will get fixed in the next release.

TrevorBradley
June 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM
An update... a new 2.6.32-22 kernel just came out. I installed it and rebooted, and ubuntu eventually came up OK (GDM/Compiz is happy), but the virtual consoles (alt-F1 to alt-F6) are all garbled. I saw only screen garbage on boot until X finally stared up.

So things are improving, but not fixed yet.

feistybee
June 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Trevor,

How you installed Lucid on m2npv-vm? I am getting only garbage screen while installing

TrevorBradley
June 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
My install is an upgrade of Ubuntu, it's been on the server all the way back to 8.10. I didn't start having graphics glitches until the 2.6.32-22 update, and 2.6.32-21 seems OK.

Try going back to 2.6.32-21 in grub and see if it works for you.

danlea
July 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I have non-existant/garbled splash screens and garbled virtual terminals as well. Nvidia dual-headed setup, two monitors at 1680x1050 and set at this vga mode (873), not using Grub2. Worked fine until I upgraded to Lucid last week. I tried a temporary 'without splash' boot but the problem persisted.

Anyone know of a bug report for this?