PDA

View Full Version : Share your experiences with ZaReason

Smart Viking
May 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hi all, since I am not from USA or Canada, I could not order a PC from System76, but I found this other website that looked amazing: http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

So have anyone tried out that before? If I was going to buy a computer for myself I would just go ahead and buy it, but I am trying to find a computer for my sister, and then it is a little more important for me that it is worth the money. :)

JDShu
May 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I have a Limbo Desktop from ZaReason, works perfectly... no problems with it. Since the hardware has been chosen to be compatible with Linux, when I upgraded to the Lucid Beta, there were very few problems and by the time of the official release it was almost perfect (just some weird UI issues left which are widespread across ubuntu desktops and just made more noticable due to the new theme).

zmjjmz
May 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I have one of their MSI netbook boxes, it works beautifully with Ubuntu. I plan on upgrading to Lucid later today.

Smart Viking
May 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thank for the replies, I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to buy one of their lap-tops. I will update this thread when I get the computer. :)

JlyGrnMigt
May 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I bought their Terra netbook (which they no longer sell) around Christmas 2009. I'm running UNR on it, and I've had a slew of problems. Some are definitely linux-related, and others may or may not be hardware. I'm 80% happy with the response I've gotten from the company, though.

My main issue is with the touchpad. The click will stop working sometimes, and no solution has been found on the forums. My workaround is to plug in a USB mouse before booting, and to disable the touchpad immediately upon logging in. If I don't disable it and accidentally touch the pad, I can't click with either mouse because it thinks I'm dragging. It's bizarre.

I also had brief trouble with the battery not wanting to charge sometimes, which was fixed after I re-seated it. It recurred for about a month, and hasn't been an issue since.

My power cord is also sliding off the wires at the outlet end.

But I'm using it now, so it still functions...

Smart Viking
May 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM
They will soon begin to sell the Terra again, they are just replacing the processor. It will be back in about 1 or two weeks they said to me when i emailed them. :)

I am actually thinking about buying it, i hope i wont get those touch pad problems.