PDA

View Full Version : Scratched cornea -- Ouch!

samalex
May 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Guys ---

Monday night my 2yo daughter accidentally stuck her finger in my right eye and scratched my cornea. I visited the doc yesterday and he said it's pretty big but not too deep so no infection or anything, which is good. I just have this thick goop I have to put in my eye at night to help it heal.

Needless to say the morning commute yesterday and today was fun since I'm trying to avoid the sun, and at work my desk is surrounded by four monitors which doesn't help. I've turned the brightness down on all of them which helps. Plus in as many IDE's as possible I've switched the colors to green foreground and black background, which is actually how I used to use it until just recently.

Anyone else had this happen to them? And if so how long until you were back to seeing normal? The doc said today should be 80% healed, but I'm guessing it's closer to 40% since today is just a bit better than yesterday. Too bad the post-it note won't stick to my glasses because covering the scratched eye actually does help -- but I don't want to walk around all day with an eye patch -- ARRRRRrrrrrr!

Take care --

Sam

Grenage
May 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Anywhere up to a week, usually.

sydbat
May 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM
A friend had a scratched cornea (and yes - OUCH!) and it took a couple of weeks for him to not be sensitive to light, see clearer, etc. He got his taking their Christmas tree out for recycling and a branch got caught on something and swung back, hitting him in the face.

Ms_Angel_D
May 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hey samalex, I hope you get well quick. A couple of years ago I had mine scratched, it was horrible, my eye was watering non-stop until I got into the doctors. They sent me home with 2 types of eye drops and and a supply of patches. One Drop actually numbed the eye and the other was the medicine. If I remember right it took me about 2 weeks or so for it to get back to normal.

Hang in there and Here's to a speedy recovery.

Angel

arubislander
May 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
You mean it is a medical condition the doctor will treat? You'd never believe what I've had without going to the doctors for it. I think that will be the death of me sometime...

I had a scratched cornea too, judging by the symptoms, when my son poked his finger in my eye by accident when he was a baby... Had to walk around with shades for a week or so, but then it was over. Never even thought about going to the doctor's for it...

Grenage
May 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Depending on the severity, it's not usually necessary. An eye patch works well, but it'll heal in about the same time regardless of drops.

samalex
May 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
The doc said the scratch was large but not deep, so he didn't prescribe anything other then some stuff to put on at night that should help the healing process. It really doesn't hurt much unless I look at a bright light, just uncomfortable and feeling like there's something in there. He did offer a patch, but I didn't take him up on it, though I'm kinda regretting it now. I guess I could've used it in my cube.

What stinks is we're closing on a new house on Friday so we'll be moving all weekend and next week. If it's not at least somewhat better by then that'll totally suck.

Sam

ki4anr
May 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
This happened to me not once but twice!

First time my dance partner accidentally shoved her thumb in my eye, and the second time I stuck my own finger in my eye right before I boarded a plane to London. Try to find an eye patch at the Gatwick Airport, no way! I finally found an eye patch in a London drug store and had to wear it the whole trip. Needless to say the trip to Madame Tussauds was not pleasant tour. Make you appreciate having two eyes! My advice: Wear goggles around people!....:lolflag:

samalex
May 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM
My advice: Wear goggles around people!....:lolflag:

Or at least around 2 year olds :)

Sam

sudoer541
May 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
scratched by a two year old? aaaawww thats so cute!!!:p

Shakz
May 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
When I was around 12-13 I got into a fight with another boy at school. He scratched my cornea. After I got done making my point with him (quiet dont mean passive) I rode my bike home with my eye tearing the whole time. I didnt know what had happened. Dad took me to Dr. after chewing me out for letting him scratch me in the first place and Doc gave me some antibiotic eyedrops I think and iirc it took 3 days to heal. I had to keep a patch over it for 2 days and try to not blink.....I remember that being hard. You will be fine although from now on when you go to the eye dr he will tell you "You know you have a scar over your cornea?" "Hummmm really? Wonder how that got there....."

forrestcupp
May 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I've had a scratched cornea before. Not fun. Eye pain is one type of pain that you can't get your mind off of.

One time, I thought I had a scratched cornea and it ended up being a weld burn. It didn't set in for a couple of hours so that's why I didn't know that's what it was.