PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What happened to Shared Folders controls in 10.04?

neutron68
May 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I've been using the SAMBA Shared Folders function to allow other pcs in my home network to pull video files off the Mythbuntu machine.

After the upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, the Shared Folders controls are gone, and when I log into the Mythbuntu machine from another pc, I can see the shared folders, but I can't have access to the files.

What happened? It appears SAMBA has been broken by the upgrade.

Help appreciated,
Eric

emillan
May 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I did a fresh install, so I can't speak to the problem of your existing Samba shares, but when I noticed that the Shared Folders functionality was removed, I installed system-config-samba to create my shares. It's easy to use and works very well. Perhaps it can help you.

Emilio

neutron68
May 6th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I went into Synaptic Package Manager and added the package you mentioned. I've got the controls back.

I wonder why that package was left out of the new release?
The developers forgot and none of the testers noticed?

Eric

neutron68
May 6th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I just tried to access files in the shared folders from another computer - nope. SAMBA will not let me.

I believe there was a "security update" about 1 month ago to SAMBA. This may be the culprit.

Eric

neutron68
May 6th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I found it. It is a problem with symlinks.

see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1439092

To undo the "fix", you have to edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
In the [global] section, set "wide links = yes", and restart SAMBA (sudo service smbd restart)

Then, you can access symlinks through the SAMBA interface again.

Eric