PDA

View Full Version : GWrite - the Kompozer killer

3rdalbum
May 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Okay, it doesn't have all the features of Kompozer - but at least it runs!

GWrite is a simple HTML5 WYSIWYG editor, for GTK. It supports basic HTML functions such as horizontal rules, tables, and HTML styles. It also supports the insertion of LaTeX equations, and can help you generate a table of contents for the page too.

Now, you'd struggle to create a complex page in this program unless you used its Source view; but it's ideal for creating simple pages and even for editing reasonably complex ones as it understands CSS.

It's early days for GWrite, but the program is stable and works just as described. Click here to install it on Ubuntu 10.04 (apt:gwrite).

Anyone else used GWrite? I'm currently using it to build my site; I've used a nice free template that I found online and GWrite is perfect for adding content to it.

VeroB
October 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm trying Gwrite as a lightweight tool for creative writing. HTML has all the text tools one needs (italics, bold, lists, indents, etc.) without a zillion extras that slow down and confuse the writing process.

My older computer struggles with OpenOffice so i appreciate the lightweight alternative. Plus it's very convenient to use headers and the navigation pane to jump around quickly in a document.

Gwrite is still a bit buggy -- i.e. the first header is never displayed in the nav pane -- and starting up from a new document can bring odd font and indent behaviour. What i do is create a blank document in OpenOffice Web Writer, set up the fonts and headings the way i want, then use that as a "seed" document to start up in Gwrite. I "save as" another name and i'm away to the races.

Hope they continue to develop (i.e. debug, not necessarily featurize and complicate) this application. It has great potential.

MasterNetra
October 13th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Bluefish > GWrite

tapasapat
January 10th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm trying Gwrite as a lightweight tool for creative writing. HTML has all the text tools one needs (italics, bold, lists, indents, etc.) without a zillion extras that slow down and confuse the writing process.

Same here, Gwrite has most of the things one needs for creative writing. Most. What I'd like to see, though, is custom styles and table editing. But still, I'm content.

Spice Weasel
January 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Every time you describe something as an [[application]] killer; I kill a kitten.

forrestcupp
January 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Every time you describe something as an [[application]] killer; I kill a kitten.

Lol. That reminds me of the car lot commercial on UHF (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=063wANsIjmE). "Club a seal to make a better deal!"

alphacrucis2
January 10th, 2011, 11:55 PM
There is also this thing

http://www.bluegriffon.org/

Seems to be under active development prior to initial release.

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Bluefish > GWrite

That's like saying Bluefish > Flash Player. Bluefish is an HTML source code editor, GWrite is a WYSIWYG HTML editor. If I want to edit the code directly (which I do), then I just use Gedit which is fine for that.