PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Doesn't Support Linux?

Khakilang
May 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I try to change my old Yahoo mail to the new Yahoo Mail today mail and this is the message I got. Look at the attached image. Is it because it was bought over by Microsoft this thing happen? Oh! How I hate this.
:confused:

koleoptero
May 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
That's probably just a warning because they want to play it safe. Yahoo mail works fine for me. Just click to go to the new yahoo mail anyway.

ssam
May 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
that message has been around for years. they have a list of 'supported browsers' and it takes them a while to add the latest firefox versions to it. just click through and it will work fine.

i believe their webmail is based on the opensource zimbra

MindSz
May 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Yahoo mail works fine for me. I keep switching back and forth between classic and new Yahoo. Classic for the office, new Yahoo at home.

t0p
May 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Yahoo doesn't support Linux? That's not a surprise, as hardly any service or company supports Linux. That doesn't mean the service won't work with Linux. It just means the buffoons have probably not even heard of Linux. ("Linux? What's a linux then?" "Uh, something like a mountain lion I think.")

So Yahoo doesn't support Linux? Well, I do suppor Linux. But I don't support Yahoo. Their mail service sucks, their web search is a joke, their groups service is a spam magnet.

Hold on a second: is flickr a Yahoo service? Hmm, maybe I do support them after all. Yay! Go Yahoooo!!

Chrysantine
May 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
It just means the buffoons have probably not even heard of Linux.
Yahoo and their mail services run on BSD so I'm pretty sure they've "heard of Linux".

Excedio
May 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I try to change my old Yahoo mail to the new Yahoo Mail today mail and this is the message I got. Look at the attached image. Is it because it was bought over by Microsoft this thing happen? Oh! How I hate this.

I see that in a daily basis. Ignore it and keep moving. :-)

ndstate
May 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Leave them a comment at http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/yfeedback.html suggesting they start supporting Linux!

If enough of us do maybe they will hear us and stop making us go through that extra step on login.

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
It's obviously deliberate discrimination. Duh.

urukrama
May 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM
It says it "has not been tested" with your OS, not that it doesn't work with your OS, or that they don't want you to use your OS.

MasterNetra
May 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM
It says it "has not been tested" with your OS, not that it doesn't work with your OS, or that they don't want you to use your OS.

+1

Come on people. "has not been tested with your OS" is NOT the same as "your OS is unsupported".

On a side note even if it wasn't I probably wouldn't I never cared for Yahoo. I've been with both gmail and hotmail. And at one point gamewinners.com back when they offered free email accounts.

pwnst*r
May 19th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Lol.

witeshark17
May 19th, 2010, 04:06 AM
They likely could remove that splash message... :guitar:

Khakilang
May 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Yahoo mail works fine for me. I keep switching back and forth between classic and new Yahoo. Classic for the office, new Yahoo at home.

When I use the classic mail. it doesn't go into the Inbox no matter how many time I click my mouse. Anyway I did go ahead and use the new mail box and its work fine now. But the message is still annoying.
:(:(:(