PDA

View Full Version : root password

dejavu
February 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM
hello to all ..
i dont think im maillng to the right forum but i couldnt find one suitable for my problem ..

ive downloaded Ubuntu linux and got it installed but the main problem is that it never asked me for a ROOT PASSWORD !

neither during installation nor after installation .. i need to update things in it but cant cause i DONT have a root passwd !

What to do ?

TobyCat
February 9th, 2005, 06:55 PM
You can always bring up a shell

#> sudo passwd

it'll then prompt you to change the root password. That's how I changed mine :)

Titeuf
February 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
You don't need a root password:
do as your normal user: "sudo <WhatYouWantToDo>" and then type the password of the user, NOT the one of root.

basse1989
February 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
You don't need a root password. When it promts you for a password, for example when you try "sudo apt-get" you should type your own password.

basse1989
February 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
You don't need a root password:
do as your normal user: "sudo <WhatYouWantToDo>" and then type the password of the user, NOT the one of root.

That's what I meant. :)

hungry1
February 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I messed up my chances of sudo, I tried to edit the sudoers file and now it has a parse erre\or. I would simply change the file back to the original, but... it's read only and now I can't sudo to change it? any ideas?
Thanks,
curt :o

jdong
February 9th, 2005, 09:55 PM
At bootup, Press ESC to bring up the kernels list. Press "e" twice, add init=/bin/bash rw to the end of the line.

This will boot up a mini-Linux with a passwordless Root console. From there, you can either

1. Use passwd to reset your ROOT password
2. edit /etc/sudoers to reverse your changes

TO REBOOT
Don't use CTRL+ALT+DEL, "exit", CTRL+D, or anything similar to reboot! It would be an improper shutdown. The only safe way to shut down from this mini-console is:

1. sync;mount -o ro /;sync
2. Hit your reset button!

Jad
February 9th, 2005, 10:13 PM
cant we set alias or a shortcut to perform "sync;mount -o ro /;sync" when you press CTRL + ALT + DEL?
my machine shut down with CTRL + ALT + backspace

jdong
February 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM
No, I was specifically referring to shutting down from the init=/bin/bash shell prompt.

This is no ordinary bootup -- all that exist are the kernel and a BASH shell. Exitting the bash shell in any way, shape, or form would instantly cause a KERNEL PANIC: Attempted to kill init!, potentially causing filesystem corruption.