PDA

View Full Version : Picking a new laptop that works well with Ubuntu

Grizzly4
May 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hi, I'm looking for a new laptop that works well with Ubuntu. I'll mostly be using the computer for school work and gaming.

So, What are some good laptops that are around the 300-600 dollar range that work well with ubuntu?

kaldor
May 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM
300-600 for gaming? Not likely unless it is an older game you play.

My HP dv2700 cost 800 2 years ago. It worked out of the box with Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSolaris, Fedora and a few others. No tinkering at all.

Not meaning to bash Windows in general, but do not even bother dual booting it with Vista. If you *need* Windows, dual boot with Ubuntu and replace Vista with Windows 7. The Vista that came with my notebook (Home Premium) was THE worst case of Windows ever. Pixellated screens, random crashes and shutdowns, needing to reboot for updates every time I logged in, etc. Very quickly I ditched Windows for good after that.

Sef
May 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
As for computers that work well, I have a Dell Inspiron and it works well with Ubuntu.

Not meaning to bash Windows in general, but do not even bother dual booting it with Vista.Windows 7 is what comes with Windows computers now.

kaldor
May 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM
As for computers that work well, I have a Dell Inspiron and it works well with Ubuntu.

Windows 7 is what comes with Windows computers now.

Yes, but this was with an older computer which may still ship with Vista from some vendors; Most computers here still ship Vista :(

Tom Mann
May 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Check out the Acer Aspire notebook (not netbook) range.
In the UK 6 months ago you could get a nVidia 9600M GFX, 3GB RAM and Dual Core processor for £600, I imagine it'd be a lot better now.